Floor drain plumbing to daylight

Users who are viewing this thread

Gundraw

Reaction score
So I want to put in a handful of floor drains in a workshop I will be building (see attached PDF). I am, however, unsure what the right way to do this will be.

The utility sinks are the only drain that would regularly get usage, and this would be hand rinsing/part washing etc only.

More importantly, I have some specific questions:

#1. Is 4" drain line worth considering for any reason?
#2. Note that these lines will daylight to a field beside the shop. I would think there should be a P trap somewhere. Should a single P trap be installed as shown, or trap individually at each drain location? Or both? Know that MOST of these drains will go most of the year without any liquid. This prompted me to think a single trap would be more likely to keep from drying out.
#3 Is typical 1/4"/foot drop acceptable for this as well?
#4 I expect typical Sch. 40 PVC is the right tool for the job here?
#5 How deep should all of these lines be buried underneath a 6" slab?

Overall, I am not familiar with a daylit drain system, so if there are suggestions for better ways to do this, I would be interested to hear.

EDITED TO ADD: These floor drains are largely for where vehicles will be parked, providing a way for rain water, snow melt, etc to at least be evacuated from the floor and not running into other rooms (where water is not wanted). Yes, there is a bathroom with lavatory etc which will be plumbed to the septic system, these parts are not shown.

The top utility sink will only see clean tap water runoff from steam jacketed cooking and immersion cooling equipment for our canning/brewing hobby.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Each drain should have its own vented trap. I don't know of any plumbing or building code that refers to a "Daylit" system or that allows for dumping waste straight onto or into the ground. Sounds highly suspect to me.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Daylight just means goes under ground and then as outside grade drops pops out the slope and dumps on ground . rain water or a patio drain is good . A "shop" is kinda shaky or a parts washer/ even utility sink . I don't see a bathroom ? not sure of the building use or requirements . I'm not so sure on dumping any of it on the ground or trapping requirements such as trap primers

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah this isn't legal. But it's done. Normally just a drain here or there a whole building not really.

Why put all of these drains with no toilet? Why no sewer tie in?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah this isn't legal. But it's done. Normally just a drain here or there a whole building not really.

Why put all of these drains with no toilet? Why no sewer tie in?
It could be the building is just storage barn exempted from codes

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It could be the building is just storage barn exempted from codes
Could be anything. But where we live, theres no building that is exempt from code. Or common sense. Each fixture/drain should have a trap and each of those traps should be vented minimum. I don't know what is going down the drain, but that long of a run will start to stink at some point.

Gundraw

Reaction score
I edited the original post to add this information:

This building contains a bathroom that is not shown. It has IPC compliant venting and draining to a septic system.

This is nothing but the floor drainage. What I do not want, is a truck/tractor full of snow and mud draining into my septic tank everytime something is parked inside.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I edited the original post to add this information:

This building contains a bathroom that is not shown. It has IPC compliant venting and draining to a septic system.

This is nothing but the floor drainage. What I do not want, is a truck/tractor full of snow and mud draining into my septic tank everytime something is parked inside.
Those drains would go to an oil seperater or a sediment seperater then to the septic. Those interceptors get maintenanced. Your not the first to have the thought of this and every other compliant building has these types of interceptors.

Last edited:

Gundraw

Reaction score
I think it would be a hard sell to put in some kind of a muck pit for the occasional snow melt off of a car. That said, having no drain (like my last garage) can make a real mess. Is it general practice to simply slope the slab to the overhead doors and let it seep out under the seal?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it would be a hard sell to put in some kind of a muck pit for the occasional snow melt off of a car. That said, having no drain (like my last garage) can make a real mess. Is it general practice to simply slope the slab to the overhead doors and let it seep out under the seal?
No a garage would typically have either a trench drain with sediment trap or a sediment trap with drain. They are made small or large depending on the need.

All it is is a box with a grate. The outlet for the water is near the top of the box. So it fills with water, the sediment sinks, then the water flows out of the outlet when it gets to a certain level.

You could just do a trench drain with a trap and pipe stubbed up through the bottom of it. The pipe would get cut off above the floor of the trench so sediment sinks and gets scooped out but the water rises up and flows out. But still it gets a trap and heads to the sewer. They do make combination separators for oil and sediment which is more likley what you'd need for a garage.

TonyaGilmore

Reaction score
We live in a city where no building is exempt from the code. Each fixture/drain should have a trap, and each web should be vented at the very least. My plumber always comes to my house. So that all drain issues are resolved as soon as possible. I don't know what's going down the drain, but such a long run is bound to stink at some point.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks