Fleck Water softener based on test results

Users who are viewing this thread

Twen17

Reaction score
Can I get some help on water treatment needs for my house?
I am thinking about going with a fleck 48k softener. I don’t know exact model yet.
I have 4 people in the house.

Can somebody look at the test results below and tell me if I need anything special to treat this water?

I have a saltwater aquarium and an RODI setup that treats the water for that but would like reasonably good water going into the RODI to make the filters and DI resin get decent life.

I couldn’t figure out how to get the pictures of the report into the message so I had to attach them.
The other page of the report is in the next message.

Attachments

• 320918F7-AE5C-403E-93E3-61DBE521A301.jpeg
    320918F7-AE5C-403E-93E3-61DBE521A301.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 105

Twen17

Reaction score
Can I get some help on water treatment needs for my house?
I am thinking about going with a fleck 48k softener. I don’t know exact model yet.
I have 4 people in the house.

Can somebody look at the test results below and tell me if I need anything special to treat this water?

I have a saltwater aquarium and an RODI setup that treats the water for that but would like reasonably good water going into the RODI to make the filters and DI resin get decent life.

I couldn’t figure out how to get the pictures if the report into the message so I had to attach them.

Attachments

• 8625501C-0D19-493B-9D53-3D7D8B65E90B.jpeg
    8625501C-0D19-493B-9D53-3D7D8B65E90B.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 107

Reach4

Reaction score
With 4 people, I would go with 2 cuft of resin in a 12x52 inch tank. Marketers would call this a "64000 grain" system, tho that number should not be used in computations.

Twen17

Reaction score
With 4 people, I would go with 2 cuft of resin in a 12x52 inch tank. Marketers would call this a "64000 grain" system, tho that number should not be used in computations.
Thanks for the quick help.

Is there anything else on the test that looks like it needs to be dealt with besides just getting a standard water softener with standard resin?

Reach4

Reaction score
One thing that confuses me... is this a private well, and if so, why are chlorine and chloramine non-zero. And if this is pipeline water, why are chlorine and chloramine so low.

One possibility that come to mind is that you sanitized the well, and plumbing, a few weeks earlier, and this is residual.

Twen17

Reaction score
One thing that confuses me... is this a private well, and if so, why are chlorine and chloramine non-zero. And if this is pipeline water, why are chlorine and chloramine so low.

One possibility that come to mind is that you sanitized the well, and plumbing, a few weeks earlier, and this is residual.
This is city water.
I don’t know much about water but I also had the same confusion.
My assumption was that because I had to send it out to get tested, maybe the time between sampling and testing affected it.
Could that be possible?

Reach4

Reaction score
Possible. Did you overnight the sample?

Twen17

Reaction score
I got the Fkeck 5600sxt installed now but it seems the injector is different than what a lot of the standard programming help references.

Can I get some help figuring out how to set this up based on the injector pictured below and my water report from the original post?

I though I had the programming figured out but later realized the injector was different than what most people online talk about.

Hardness 20.5
4 people in the house.
Full report in 1st posts.

Attachments

• 0E1E3C02-D1A8-49F9-9BF6-E96F7661FFA2.jpeg
    0E1E3C02-D1A8-49F9-9BF6-E96F7661FFA2.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 93

Twen17

Reaction score
Yes it’s basically the same besides hardness iron and injector.
I have the 5600sxt 64k softener.

Can I get by with keeping the valve I pictured above and changing the settings accordingly it should I get a different injector?

If I should keep the injector I have, what should the BF and BD and whatever else goes along with it be set at?

Twen17

Reaction score
Can I get a quick verification of below?

With the injector pictured above. If I want to use 10lbs of salt per cubic foot of resin for my system. (2 cubic foot resin)

I will set the BF to only 3 minute.

Is that correct?

I still don’t know how that relates to the brine draw portion though.

Reach4

Reaction score
No, no.
You need your DMLP number-- look for a label near the brine line. That may be a mylar label silver on black, and it might say 0.5. That is important to select the BF number. The thread I linked to had a hand-written value of 1.0, which is not common.

On the injector, I would have preferred a #00 or #0.
#00 Injector - Violet #I would probably go there, but maybe not with 10 lb/cuft of salt. It would increase the time for a regen.
#0 Injector - Red #good
#1 Injector - White #not bad
You have a
#2 Injector - Blue. I think that is bigger than good.

If you got a #00 instead, you would raise BD to a higher number. If you go with 10 lb/sqft, then BD time would be higher than with 6 lb/sqft.

10 lb/cuft is more salt than most choose. I would start with 8 and see how that is for you. The other thread is starting with 6 to use less salt while getting pretty good softening.

Last edited:

Twen17

Reaction score
T
No, no.
You need your DMLP number-- look for a label near the brine line. That may be a mylar label silver on black, and it might say 0.5. That is important to select the BF number. The thread I linked to had a hand-written value of 1.0, which is not common.

#00 Injector - Violet #I would probably go there, but maybe not with 10 lb/cuft of salt. It would increase the time for a regen.
#0 Injector - Red #good
You have a

If you got a #00 instead, you would raise BD to a higher number. If you go with 10 lb/sqft, then BD time would be higher than with 6 lb/sqft.

10 lb/cuft is more salt than most choose. I would start with 8 and see how that is for you. The other thread is starting with 6 to use less salt while getting pretty good softening.
No, no.

#0 Injector - Red #good
You have a

Thanks.

10 lb/cuff was just an example to see if I was correct or not.

I found a label on the brine line area.

It says .5 GPM and 1.5PBS of salt per minute.

I Don’t know what that means.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you switch to a #00 injector, I would change BD to 105. With a #0 injector, I would make BD=70.

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft = 7.5 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 2 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000
Compensated hardness = 23 ; including any compensation
People = 4 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 240 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 8.35 ; Computed days including reserve

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/, Single Backwash, black cam
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 46 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 23 ; Hardness-- (raised for high-hardness compensation)
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 240 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 30 ; Day Override (28 if no iron)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 10 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = ____0.7 ; https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_fleck5600sxt_flow-png.31592/
FM pix: http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_fleck5600sxt_flow-png.31592/

Twen17

Reaction score
If you switch to a #00 injector, I would change BD to 105. With a #0 injector, I would make BD=70.

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft = 7.5 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 2 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000
Compensated hardness = 23 ; including any compensation
People = 4 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 240 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 8.35 ; Computed days including reserve

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/, Single Backwash, black cam
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 46 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 23 ; Hardness-- (raised for high-hardness compensation)
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 240 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 30 ; Day Override (28 if no iron)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 10 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = ____0.7 ; https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_fleck5600sxt_flow-png.31592/
FM pix: http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_fleck5600sxt_flow-png.31592/
Thanks a bunch for that.
I have seen you post lists like this a bunch for people.

I guess I wasn’t understanding the role of the injector #2 thing in relation to BF and BD.

You mention recommendations for #00 and #0 injectors. If I stay with the #2 should the BD stay at 60?

I still don’t really understand what the injector is doing to the settings.

Reach4

Reaction score
Leaving it at 60 is the normal thing, but I would consider dropping that to 45 minutes. The injector sucks the brine out in some amount of time, and for you I estimate 11.6 minutes. Usually you want the BD time to be maybe 3.5x or 4x that time.

Injector is not involved in the BF number.

Twen17

Reaction score
Leaving it at 60 is the normal thing, but I would consider dropping that to 45 minutes. The injector sucks the brine out in some amount of time, and for you I estimate 11.6 minutes. Usually you want the BD time to be maybe 3.5x or 4x that time.

Injector is not involved in the BF number.
Perfect. Thank you very much.

Just before you sent this reply I found a post that mentioned the 4x time. But I still didn’t understand whether the injector was involved in BF.
Now I get it.

Thanks again. Awesome work you put into responding to peoples questions on this forum.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks