Fleck 5810 Flow Meter not working

Users who are viewing this thread

Hkxyz

Reaction score
I have a fleck 5810 that has stopped metering the flow of water and im wondering what to do. I did a full reset on it so far and that didn't change anything. Appreciate the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
There could be a piece of something that has jammed the turbine. The turbine is readliy accessible and removable on the left side of the unit, once pressure has been relieved. Expect some water to come out when you pull the turbine, and if you can drain water, that would be good. One way to relieve pressure and maybe drain a little water would be to put the softener into backwash, and pull the plug.

The turbine has one or more magnets. There is a sensor on a cable that detects the turbine turns by detecting the magnetic field change. If you pull that cable on an in-service 5820SXT, you can use a magnet to simulate water flow. Eighty magnetic pulses corresponds to 1 gallon (https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?posts/565239/). You should get the gallons remaining to count down once you have applied and removed the magnet that number of times. Sounds tedious, but if you can do one per second, we are talking about one gallon every 80 seconds.

That magnetic sensor test would probably be the place to start.

I am not a pro.

Hkxyz

Reaction score
There could be a piece of something that has jammed the turbine. The turbine is readliy accessible and removable on the left side of the unit, once pressure has been relieved. Expect some water to come out when you pull the turbine, and if you can drain water, that would be good. One way to relieve pressure and maybe drain a little water would be to put the softener into backwash, and pull the plug.

The turbine has one or more magnets. There is a sensor on a cable that detects the turbine turns by detecting the magnetic field change. If you pull that cable on an in-service 5820SXT, you can use a magnet to simulate water flow. Eighty magnetic pulses corresponds to 1 gallon (https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?posts/565239/). You should get the gallons remaining to count down once you have applied and removed the magnet that number of times. Sounds tedious, but if you can do one per second, we are talking about one gallon every 80 seconds.

That magnetic sensor test would probably be the place to start.

I am not a pro.
Thanks, I did run a magnet across it but didn't realize it was 80 pulses. Ill try that first and see if it changes.

Reach4

Reaction score
Nice video. Minute 5:40 is where the turbine part is.

Hkxyz

Reaction score
Nice video. Minute 5:40 is where the turbine part is.
Thanks, I pulled the sensor out 150 times and it didn't change, ill check the turbine also just to double check in a little bit.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks, I pulled the sensor out 150 times and it didn't change,
The thing you were suppose to do with the sensor pulled out is to put a fairly strong magnet near the sensor and pull it away many time. The turbine magnet may not have been positioned near the sensor.

Still, checking the turbine for easy turning might be easier.

Hkxyz

Reaction score
The thing you were suppose to do with the sensor pulled out is to put a fairly strong magnet near the sensor and pull it away many time. The turbine magnet may not have been positioned near the sensor.

Still, checking the turbine for easy turning might be easier.
Haha ok that makes more sense, :) ill redo that thanks

Hkxyz

Reaction score
Alright i did the magnet trick and nothing, took the turbine out and there was nothing stopping it, spins good. I did the flow check at the end if the video holding the turbine up to the sensor and it didnt detect anything. Dead sensor?

Hkxyz

Reaction score
Oh man, now after taking out the turbine and putting it back together there is a slow flow of water going out the drain constantly now?

Reach4

Reaction score
Dang.

New seals maybe needed, and those are a maintenance item. Even worse would be if you needed a new piston. I would get a 5.3 ounce tube (lifetime supply) of Molykote 111, and use a very light coat whenever you put seals back. I use a nitrile glove to apply. I am not saying that would have prevented the leak problem, but it might have. Other silicone plumbing grease would work too.

Maybe you could work around this by flipping the seal assembly over. My hope would be that a nicked seal might be in a place that is not busy except during regen. I have not heard anybody suggest this. What do you have to lose?

On second thought, since you did not pull the piston or seals, the problem may be something else.

Last edited:

Cheers!

Reaction score
Looks like I have a similar issue. I have a 5810 XTR2 that I installed 2 years ago. So far completely trouble free until today. Where it says No flow detected error. I turned on a faucet that is on the soft water circuit, and on the LCD display it shows 0.0gpm flow rate.

I tried to power off the system and plug it back in. I pulled the turbine wheel out to see if it was jammed or stalled due to debris; but it was clean and sun smoothly. I see in post #2 and at 6min 15secs of the video by impactwaterproducts.com that you can remove the sensor cable and hold it next to the turbine and spin the turbine by hand to see if it registers.

But... How do you pull the sensor cable?

It was dark and I was working with a flashlight in the cold. I didn't want force anything. I gave a tug on the sensor body that goes to the grey cable by pinching it with my fingers. But it didn't budge. I gave a further tug with a pair of pliers gently and it didn't come out.

How do you pull the sensor cable?

also if I need a new sensor cable is it P/N: FL19791-01 Meter Cable
My manual doesn't list a sensor cable in it's exploded diagram for the 5810XTR2

Attachments

• IMG_20200107_203430.jpg
    IMG_20200107_203430.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 178

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The meter cable usually pulls out with ease but if it does not pull out, look under the valve and you will see where it protrudes. It is like a barbed fitting, simply push it and it will release with ease. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Got it! Thanks for the pointer. I did indeed need to use a small screw driver to release the barb.

So I put a magnet to it and even the turbine and nothing registers at the black body of the sensor cable. I'm hoping I have a bad cable, I ordered a new one and going to get it on Friday. Fingers crossed this solves the issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks