Fleck 5600sxt regen water consumption

Users who are viewing this thread

Wenter

Reaction score
Hi, all
I want to install a water softener system at our house. I had an appointment with a local company and they quoted $1900 for their "least expensive" system. Our water hardness is 23.
I am thinking about purchasing Fleck 5600sxt 48000 grain system. We have 2 adults and 2 kids (11y o and 10 yo).
Would this system be sufficient for our needs?
How much water is drained out during regeneration cycle?
Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
I want to install a water softener system at our house. I had an appointment with a local company and they quoted $1900 for their "least expensive" system. Our water hardness is 23.
I am thinking about purchasing Fleck 5600sxt 48000 grain system. We have 2 adults and 2 kids (11y o and 10 yo).
Would this system be sufficient for our needs?
No. You would want 2.5 cubic ft of resin in a 13" x 54" tank. Marketing lit may call this an 80,000 grain system, but that number should only be used for size comparison.

How much water is drained out during regeneration cycle?
It varies based on settings. Edit: I estimate 75 gallons. That is about 10 cubic ft. http://www.santabarbaraca.gov/gov/depts/pw/resources/rates/wtrsewer/default.asp So if you are at the highest rate, that would cost you about $2.43... Wow! Maybe using 8 pounds of salt per cubic ft would actually be cheaper. Hmmm about an extra day between regens using about 86 gallons to regen. Nope, not cheaper I think.

If I believed that "you get what you pay for", I would presume Santa Barbara had really great water.

You could also use a 2 cuft softener. I would prefer the 2.5 giving about 8 days between regenerations. With your expensive water, maybe your water use is much less than the commonly calculated number of 60 gallons per person per day. Maybe even that 1.5 cubic ft unit could do it... no flush after #1 etc.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Larger systems will be more water and salt efficient. The system regeneration cycles can be adjusted. The first backwash is typically set to 10 minutes but it is common to set this to 4-6 minutes in order to save water. Brine draw is typically 60 minutes but this is determined by the salt setting. This cycle uses a small amount of water. The 2nd backwash Can be eliminated or set to 1-2 minutes without a problem. Fast rinse is typically set to 3-8 minutes and is the least important cycle and can be reduced without a problem. The amount of water used to clean the system is minimal compared to how many gallons it treats.

Wenter

Reaction score
I have had another company coming with a quote and this time their "entry level" system was $4k. WOW!

I am more and more leaning towards Fleck 5600SXT 80000-grain system. Few questions related to that:
1) I want to install sediment and carbon filters prior to the softener. I am planning to use Pentek Big Blue 20in filter housings. Should I install one sediment and one carbon? Or 2 sediment and 1 carbon for total of 3?
2) What is the lifespan of ResinTech CG10 resin?
3) How do I know that resin is bad and needs to be replaced?
4) I am attaching the drawing of my installation plan. Does it seem ok?
softener.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
City water. Maybe 10 to 20 years on the resin? It will vary with the level of chlorination at your house. The people closer to the treatment plant get more chlorine.

To be clear, the red line is going to the house use such as water heater and kitchen and bath.

Put at least a boiler drain valve after the filters. You can screw a pressure gauge to that, draw water samples, and fill your water jug with free mineral water if your water is suitable. For city water, I would not put in two housings. I might go with a Pentek DGD-2501-20 or DGD-5005-20 for the sediment filter cartridge.

For serious chlorine removal and some other stuff, you would want a backwashing GAC tank instead of a cartridge. What is the purpose of that carbon filter you are planning?

Wenter

Reaction score
Yes, red line is the softened water going back to house.
Drain valve is a good idea - will add it to my plan.
That was exactly the purpose of the carbon filter - to remove chlorine from water and extend life of the system. Any recommendations on GAC tank?

ditttohead

Reaction score
Please don't use BB carbon filters for whole house applications. They are simply massively undersized for this application.

If you want a drain on the BB filter, check out the Atlas Filtri design. No drilling/tapping of the housing as these are molded in properly.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you want a drain on the BB filter, check out the Atlas Filtri design.
A drain would be nice. A 4.5x20 sump when full is only about 10 or 12 pounds or so, but it is awkward at arm's length. Some will spill when you change cartridges. Also, it would be interesting if the drain plug thread could accept a pressure gauge instead of the plug.

intel2020

Reaction score
Check out my post. I was going in the same direction, but after my homework, I am going with a carbon filter tank --> water softener (5810 valves on both), option 2 if you see the google drive link I shared.

4 people in my home, 21-22 hardness (confirmed by city water team, as they listed a lower number on 2017 water report, and based on my testing), 200-300 gpd used. 2.0 cu ft of resin/carbon in both tanks, respectively. New RO system under sink.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-get-a-new-system-that-is-the-question.71007/

Last edited:

Wenter

Reaction score
I have also done some homework and most likely I will go in about same direction. Fleck 5600SXT 1.5 cu ft of Calgon Centaur Carbon in a 10x54 tank and Fleck 5600SXT 1.5 cu ft of 10% resin in a 10x54 tank. Our GPD is about 100 gallons and water hardness is about 19-24.
RO system is already installed with a new filters.
Now I am debating weather to order from qualitywaterforless.com or from ohiopurewater.com Price is about same from both places.

I am planning to drain into washer machine drain. Do I need any special connections for that?

ditttohead

Reaction score
Don't base your purchase on price alone. I highly recommend paying a little extra to buy it from someone more local or from a company that does regular service and maintenance rather than from the lowest bidder. These systems are not just the valve. Many other components go into these systems and unfortunately many of the online companies have learned that in order to make sales they have to be the lowest price, and many of the companies start sacrificing cheaper components in order to save a few dollars.

Wenter

Reaction score
Don't base your purchase on price alone. I highly recommend paying a little extra to buy it from someone more local or from a company that does regular service and maintenance rather than from the lowest bidder.
Thank you for your help with selecting a local installer.

To all: I have got a local company recommended by Dittohead to do the installation of Carbon Filtration and Water softener system. This morning the system was put in place. All work was done nice, neatly and very professionally.

intel2020

Reaction score
Thank you for your help with selecting a local installer.

To all: I have got a local company recommended by Dittohead to do the installation of Carbon Filtration and Water softener system. This morning the system was put in place. All work was done nice, neatly and very professionally.
Please post pictures!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks