Repair 2007 Fleck 9100 system or get a new system, that is the question...

Users who are viewing this thread

intel2020

Reaction score
Hello All,

New to this site. Great discussions here!! I live in Henderson NV, right next to Las Vegas. I had a [** Edit ** from 9100 to 9000 as I have a brass, not plastic valve] Fleck 9000 (non digital) system installed when we moved here 10 years ago. In the past couple of months, I have noticed more scale in the dishwasher and on some of the bathroom shower doors (looking closely). Did some simple hardness tests, comparing the outside faucet water and kitchen/bathroom water and see no difference in hardness. I have ordered some test kits off of Amazon, but I have started to look at the softener.

Read the manual, forums, videos, etc. What I immediately see are a few things:

1. Valves are leaking a small amount of water during the regeneration session after starting a manual regen. Read on here, that is time to do a rebuild with a rebuild kit.
2. However, watching the total process, I do not see any brine moving from the brine tank to the resin tank(s) during the regen process. It "sounds" as if there is suction happening, just do not see water moving down in the brine tank.
3. I see the control valve pointers (which cycle it is on, which tank it is on) moving as expected.

The amount of water seeping at the valves is VERY small. I assume this is not a huge problem, but should get the unit rebuilt -- if I choose to go this path. The brine issue is another story. Could this be as simple as cleaning out the brine tank, inspect/clean brine lines/valve in brine tank, and take apart and clean/replace the brine line between the brine tank and the valve??

I probably could do this myself, but am open to give the service business to someone, but I don't know anyone in this vertical within the LV market. I see other long-time posters recommending other businesses on this forum -- any for the Henderson/Las Vegas market that could work on a fleck unit, recommend a new solution if I go that route)?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
2. However, watching the total process, I do not see any brine moving from the brine tank to the resin tank(s) during the regen process. It "sounds" as if there is suction happening, just do not see water moving down in the brine tank.
A leak in the suction path could cause you to not draw brine, but would allow water to be sent to the brine tank. The safety float valve then limits how full of brine the brine tank gets.

It would be nice if the water leak at the controller was from where the brine line attaches. That leak could explain both symptoms, and it is a fairly easy fix. Maybe watch during the brine fill cycle to see if that is where the leak is occurring.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If you have the brass valve I would highly recommend replacing it with the 9100. It is very easy to do and you will eliminate the potential problem of the brass valve body issues in the center lower piston area that can occur under some water conditions.

intel2020

Reaction score
Ok, I have the system back in service. Some type of air leak in the brine line. I replaced the line, re connected and it is sucking lots of brine now. A good buddy of mine helped me figure it out -- he used to install WS systems years ago. He stopped by and we figured it out. But, he confirmed that the valves are leaking and probably should either rebuild or get another sysyem soon. I tested the water with my Hach test strips I bought on-line and after doing to manual regens (for both tanks), water is now soft (outside faucet showing ~20/21 hardness).

I did some homework on parts I would need (rebuild kit), received some tips from people her (Thank you), and I called a couple of local dealers that can work on Fleck to get a price on rebuilding, changing out metal valves for plastic and change resin. One was $800, other $900.

I think I will opt for a new system. I am really liking what I see withe the Fleck 58xx XTR2 line, due to design, looks like repairs would be easy (much simpler than my 9000!), and lastly the technology. Looks like it has a smart interface and I am exploring if I, as an end user, can have access to the control to extract info for my own purposes.

I will follow up on progress with what I decide and find out about ability to get access to the Fleck controller (more than just the front panel).

intel2020

Reaction score
okay, my update. First, this forum is AWESOME. So many helpful replies, PMs. Defacto community to go to get pointers and help for water quality. To help, or at least I will contribute in my current journey, I am adding my experience as a home owner. First, I have uploaded the configurations I am interested in implementing based on what I have learned (very bottom of post). I have not chosen a solution yet (see docs), but thanks to this forum, and comments form members, I have done my homework!!!

1. What have I learned. My water in Henderson NV, Municipal water, is pretty good. Hardness is an issue (21 in my case), and if you are concerned about chlorine, then one needs to address that.
2. OMG -- I have talked to so many people, mostly armed with a bit of info from this site. Wow, what a business. Walking out of Costco, stopped and talked to the EcoSystem dealer. Hard sell. Said, give it now if you want my time, only if you give me a ball park price.... 6K ball park for softener, another 3K for removing chlorine...... Disclaimer: I am for a free market system, so if they can get that price, all for it!!
3. I put together a couple of high level designs to work from. Ideas are mine (well from people on this site.....) , from homework, but presented to any sales people.. Could hear it in their voice/body language, i.e. a educated consumer!!. Which I think is good, as it makes them have to think and/or defend/or push on design that they may feel more comfortable with (all good, IMO). See attachment (sorry, you also have to see my garage space where my existing Fleck Valve system is with other "stuff"
4. This has been fun!! I am not done, but geez people, do a little homework and get educated -- which people that find this site and forum are rewarded. I know I have been. I have learned more about water in the last several weeks and have so much respect for the people responding publicly or privately. You know who you are.... Shout out to you all!! You are incredible!!

So I diagramed two of my ideas (option 1 and 2), if this helps someone as a reference point (size of home, # people, hardness of water, their ideas, etc. Use it!!!)

Here is the link to the pdf. If someone wants the powerpoint to edit, take stuff, please PM me.

I will post what I ultimately end up installing.

GREAT EXPERIENCE on this site. so far Thank you all for the help!!! Copy/paste below link if you want to see my latest thinking. Might change, but wanted to share.

Thanks all!! More to come.

DISCLAIMER. One picture is for idea only, from an Internet site. Is used to illustrate idea. Ownership credit is preserved in image. (don't know if I get in trouble for saying/doing this, if so -- sorry in advance, not intention at all....)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_owtKNMuwKbGNkYllqSGhlYnM/view?usp=sharing

Reach4

Reaction score
So I diagrammed two of my ideas (option 1 and 2)
Get the kitchen cold from after the BB filters in 0ption 1.

I like it that my kitchen cold is soft for coffee machine. It means I don't have to descale the coffee machine. I could use hot for coffee machine, but people say to use cold.

The Hach 5-B hardness test is more accurate than strips.

intel2020

Reaction score
Okay, the system is in!!

1. Carbon Filter Tank, 2 cu ft, Fleck 5810 SXT valve
2. Softener Tank, 2 cu ft, Fleck 5810 XTR2 valve
(Note, going to get matching covers -- got the wrong ones. I also successfully put all the softener loop copper back to 1 inch. May need to tweak softener settings, but we will see).

Overall, pretty easy install with the support I received from the firm I transacted with for this solution.

Put a new under sink 5-stage RO system as well....

Very pleased with the outcome so far. And, THANKS to everyone on this forum for the all of the help and recommendations!!

20170901_191139_resized_1.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks nice. The backwash on the carbon is at a higher rate than the backwash for the softener. I guess one of the drain lines is hidden in the photo.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks