Fleck 5600 Econominder capacity wheel not rotating

Users who are viewing this thread

SidCharming

Reaction score
I will update on my status after installed next week to put closure to this topic.

I received the part in the mail on Friday and installed it right away... I 'thought' I could just pop off the old and slip in the new... but as assembled it together, water was leaking from the connectors (very little amount of water, but drips formed). I didn't have the time to put into this project, so I put the unit in bypass until today... I figured I needed a silicone lube for the o-rings. (comment below about ingredients in silicone lube). I pulled it apart, wiped it dry, applied the lube and re-assembled. No leaks and we did 2 loads of laundry, 1 time with the dish washer and the water usage dial is moving!! YEAH!!!

*Odd thing about that silicone lube is that it has toxic components. Not what I was expecting, but that's the only thing Hardware Hank had. I am curious why something toxic in a lube that is used for sinks and water related (drinking WATER) connectors. hmmmm

Bannerman

Reaction score
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
*Odd thing about that silicone lube is that it has toxic components. Not what I was expecting, but that's the only thing Hardware Hank had. I am curious why something toxic in a lube that is used for sinks and water related (drinking WATER) connectors. hmmmm
This is carried by many hardware stores, and is suitable:
https://www.danco.com/product/0-5-oz-silicone-faucet-grease/ Danco 88693

Hopefully, you didn't use a silicone spray lube or one with petroleum distillates.

The neoprene O-rings should always be lubed with a food-grade silicone grease type lube. Molykote 111 had been previously recommended but after the formula had been changed, it is now not recommended. Lubes currently recommended are Dow Release 7 compound or Chemplex.

See this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/problem-backwashing-fleck-5800-sxt.81933/#post-591785

As I read it, that does not say the Molykote 111 formula had changed, but instead they determined that the viscosity is too high for the moving pistons/seals. The release compound is a little lower viscosity, so is suitable for the moving piston+seals. For static o-rings, such as those on the meter, would be fine with Molykote 111, but why carry two silicone lubes when the lower viscosity is fine for both. I now also have a tube of Dow 7 release compound, which I use on my piston seals. I still expect to use the Molykote 111 on static seals and cartridge filter seals, tho the release compound could do it all.

Regarding silicone, there is another way to go wrong: silicone adhesive. The right stuff is NSF 61 approved for use in potable water systems.

SidCharming

Reaction score
This is carried by many hardware stores, and is suitable:
https://www.danco.com/product/0-5-oz-silicone-faucet-grease/ Danco 88693

That was one of options I had. I end up using the one the guy recommended. Black Swan Plumbers Grease:
https://www.blackswanmfg.com/Category-04/Plumbers-Grease.HTML

*Shoot I didn't see this on the bottle, but now viewing their website... "Not for use on rubber or synthetic O-rings."
{sigh} did I do just that by applying to those o-rings? not sure what they are made of, but those sound like they fit the description of material they are made with. *palm hand plant to forehead*

SidCharming

Reaction score
Hopefully, you didn't use a silicone spray lube or one with petroleum distillates.

Heaven forbid, I didn't consider any sprays... but when I asked the boy clerk where the water silicon lube was he pointed to the silicon calking products in the paints area... Ummm... NO! that's not for lubing anything it's for sealing... :) Nice try young pup, more listening next time.... I asked about lubing o-rings. :)

SidCharming

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help on this. I didn't think I'd know much about water softeners. But now that I know more, I find them in the same category as doing brakes on my truck... the mystery is over and it boils down to knowing the fundamentals to take away that mystery fear.

THANKS a BUNCH!!
Mucho-Grassy-ass!! ;)

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Heaven forbid, I didn't consider any sprays... but when I asked the boy clerk where the water silicon lube was he pointed to the silicon calking products in the paints area... Ummm... NO! that's not for lubing anything it's for sealing... :) Nice try young pup, more listening next time.... I asked about lubing o-rings. :)
look for a tube of "Super lube". sold at HF and I think HD in 3 oz size

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I would recommend a silicone based lubricant, Chemplex 862 and Dow release compound 7 are commonly recommended by the major manufacturers. Never use a petroleum based lubricant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks