First Softener Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt Sollars

Reaction score
I've been reading on the site and would like to install a quality unit the first time.
We are a family of 5 (though 3 of the five are 6, 2 and 2 years old). Our current average usage is approx. 4500 gallons/month. I know this will significantly increase when those three get older, so I'd like to plan for the future usage a bit, if possible.

I've uploaded some data from our city water. Hopefully it contains the info needed to help me select a water softener. Motivation is children with sensitive skin, wear and tear on appliances, etc.

Ultimately, I've been focused on Fleck and Clack, from what I've read, and would like to do the install myself.

Thank you for any help you can give. The more the merrier!

Matt

Attachments

• water.JPG
    water.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 194
  • water2.JPG
    water2.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 201
  • water3.JPG
    water3.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 229

Reach4

Reaction score
comments:
city water.
pH=9.81;
hardness 7.25 grains​

Reach4

Reaction score
CORRECTION: After looking again, I would not be concerned with your -.710 to 1.0 parts per billion of hexavalent chromium number. I was off by a factor of 1000 in interpreting your number.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
It is unfortunately unusual that a city water report includes hardness. That is nice.

I suggest you have a chat with the water department/company and ask about the pH. I would think they would treat that centrally. Maybe they are planning to do so soon. There is a good chance they may like talking about the water and its treatment.

EDIT #2: Incidentally, you would want a 54x10 tank with 1.5 cubic ft of 10% crosslinked resin for your softening needs. Your usage is only about 30 gallons per person per day now, but that 1.5 cuft size is a nice size. It would let you more than double your usage if needed. But I think your pH considerations may be higher priority.

Note that I corrected my reply #4 above.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A carbon system, softener, and drinking water Ro would be simple and give you excellent quality water. I sent you a pm.

Matt Sollars

Reaction score
I called our water quality center (the independence one...where our city gets water from).
Apparently we are ground water, spring fed, something. Said that keeping the ph high is intentional and helps reduce problems with slightly acidic water. I didn't understand the explanation...and don't remember most of it, but sounded good at the time. He made sure to mention that Independence, MO has been nationally ranked in drinking water quality in some competition.
http://www.examiner.net/news/20170301/independence-tap-water-in-top-5-in-tasting-competition

he was proud of this.
and you were right, Reach4, he DID like talking about it. :)

So what system should I be looking for......I could see us using an RO under the kitchen sink, but main goal is to find a whole house softening system. Dittohead sent me a pm regarding recommendations about staying away from online sales folks. Is this pretty consistent thinking regarding softeners?? it's all new to me. appreciate any help and opinions that i can get. Feel free to pm if you'd like.

Thanks everybody.
Matt

intel2020

Reaction score
I called our water quality center (the independence one...where our city gets water from).
Apparently we are ground water, spring fed, something. Said that keeping the ph high is intentional and helps reduce problems with slightly acidic water. I didn't understand the explanation...and don't remember most of it, but sounded good at the time. He made sure to mention that Independence, MO has been nationally ranked in drinking water quality in some competition.
http://www.examiner.net/news/20170301/independence-tap-water-in-top-5-in-tasting-competition

he was proud of this.
and you were right, Reach4, he DID like talking about it. :)

So what system should I be looking for......I could see us using an RO under the kitchen sink, but main goal is to find a whole house softening system. Dittohead sent me a pm regarding recommendations about staying away from online sales folks. Is this pretty consistent thinking regarding softeners?? it's all new to me. appreciate any help and opinions that i can get. Feel free to pm if you'd like.

Thanks everybody.
Matt
Same here talking to the water folks in Henderson NV, i.e. answered all questions plus some. Personally, I really enjoyed the conversation and liked the fact that he was very into what he did. In my business, hard to find people that puts pride in everything they do (hint = millennials, Gen Z).

This is my setup, love it!! I also installed a new RO 5 stage system (replacing an older one of 10+ years). A couple of the folks here will recommend systems -- Clack or Fleck valves. Below is my system after researching a lot on this topic and getting feedback from folks here.

Link to a pdf doc of my carbon/softener system: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_owtKNMuwKb0wyQmMycENaWEE/view

ditttohead

Reaction score
We manufacture tens of thousands of Alkaline Filters branded for many companies. It is highly contraversial topic and I will tend to avoid it due to obvious reasons. IMHO Alkaline water has a much better "flavor" and people tend to drink a lot more water when they invest in it. Driving past Mc "D's" rather than driving through it, and drinking a lot of water is always a good choice. :)

As to online re-sellers, we sell to many of them. Since price is the primary concern, not quality... most online companies source the lowest price parts or units in order to be cheaper than the next online re-seller. This is fine when you are selling an item that has a single known branded component. Imagine if you could buy a Toyota corolla body, then source all the cheapest components from the lowest bidder, motor, transmission, frame, engine etc. build a "car" and then still be able to call it a Toyota... this is why Clack and Fleck are now limiting their components from online sale. The cheapest, lowest quality of every component other than the valve does not make a good system and actually potentially damages the brand. Clack learned this years ago when a particular company started pushing the lowest price system built with junk components heavily then started differing all the technical support to Clack directly, rather than taking on the job they were supposed to do...

Regarding high pH from a municipal supply, this is typically safer than low pH. Low pH can leach heavy metals from plumbing... high pH can cause scale... scale is typically not a legal issue, leaching lead into the water is.

Afsaneh Khosravi

Reaction score
Hi, I leave in chandler (Arizona). The hardness of our water is 21 grains per gallon. The highest iron content in our City is less than 0.3 PPM and the pH range is 7.2 to 8.2. we are looking to buy a water softener system for our house (family of three, 3000 ft2 with three bathrooms). would you please let me know which of the following sytems would be better option for us?
- Iron Pro 2 Combination water softener iron filter Fleck 5600SXT digital metered valve 64,000 grain
- Fleck 5600SXT 64,000 Grain Water Softener Digital SXT Metered Whole House System
Thanks

ditttohead

Reaction score
If you are on municipal water any small amounts of iron will typically be in the ferric state since your water is chlorinated. A simple sediment filter will remove ferric iron.

As to which softener, I would avoid many of the online companies. I cant name them for obvious reasons but I can certainly guide you.

Matt Sollars

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input. I think i'll start by talking to dittohead about what my system needs are and go from there. i may have some install questions at some point.
thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks