Softener decision time - 5800 LXT vs WS1

Users who are viewing this thread

phrygiangates

Reaction score
Hello all - thanks to everyone who posts questions and answers on this forum, it’s a really incredible resource. I’ve read a ton about softeners here and am close to making a decision on one, just wanted a little bit of help taking the last step.

Three in the household right now: my wife and me and our toddler. One bathroom currently but we plan to add one, maybe one and a half, in the next three to five years. Maybe another kid before too long too.

Lab results are attached. We’re on city water; hardness is 270 ppm / 16 gpg. We use between 75 and 100 gallons per day in total, according to a year’s worth of meter readings on our water bill (excluding summer outdoor watering). I’m estimating we will need for now to soften between 1,200 and 1,600 grains per day.

Our local independent installer is recommending a 1.5 cubic foot system to accommodate the future increase in water usage. It seems like a little bit of overkill for our current usage but based on what I’ve read here I don’t think I need to be concerned as long as we have at least one regen per month, the override if nothing else. And I don’t want to end up undersized later on.

For the valve, he has either a Fleck 5800 LXT or a Clack WS1. It’s $200 more for the Clack. I’m leaning towards spending the extra little bit for the Clack since it seems to have some more flexibility programming-wise. I also wasn’t able to tell whether the LXT model of the Fleck will do a double backwash. We are in Southern California and I’d like to meet the state standard of 4,000 grains softened per lb of salt if at all possible, and it seems the second backwash is of some benefit there? I do like how simple changing the salt setting sounds with the LXT, though. So I guess what I’m asking is, do those of you with experience think there’s a good argument in our case to go with one vs the other?

Also, because we’re in an area where water is scarce, I’m interested to know if there is any difference between the two valves in terms of water used per regeneration?

Or am I overthinking it??

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 12.18.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 12.18.11 PM.png
    153.6 KB · Views: 110

Reach4

Reaction score
If you go with the 5800, I suggest the SXT control rather than LXT.

Kanni

Reaction score
Which one did you end up going with? It is really difficult to find reviews on these softener manufacturers and their different models.

Kanni

Reaction score
I did the WS1. No regrets from a DIY’er. Easy to maintain and program.
Thanks. I'm going with the 5800 SXT as that's one of two choices I was given by my dealer. Other choice was a Hydrotech/Canature 165 (equivalent to 765). I only have to pay for the service call for either one. It's replacing a 5810 SXT.

After calling a bunch of local dealers, I determined that the 5800 is a higher tier model (even though it may also be discontinued one day like my current 5810 has been).

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The 5800 has been rock solid except for the electronics from a decade ago. it is basically a repurposed 5000 proflo valve. I don't see them discontinuing the 5800 anytime soon but who knows. The 5800 had some electronics issues when it was first released, and this problem was most common in hotter areas. The past 5+ years have been great for this valve. The LXT is discontinued. The LXT never really made sense, they should have simply added the enhanced diagnostics to the SXT platform.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks