Filter order for drinking well water

Users who are viewing this thread

Petermet

Reaction score
I am building a house in Indonesia and have a 45 meter deep well.
I currently use a charcoal filter (1054 tank) and a resin softener (also 1054 tank). I don't drink this water.
For drinking I use a small RO unit into plastic 5 gallon containers.

In the new house I would like to be able to drink from the tap without risk and propose to add Ultrafiltration (0.01 micron) and UV sterilisation. Given the lack of mains sewer systems and the cheap concrete septic that many houses use I want to be safe.

Does this seem like a sensible set up or overkill with both UF and UV?

What would be the recommended order of filtration (charcoal, UF, UV, Softener)?

At what stage should I tee off the water for the hot water, or leave for all stages?

Thank you for any advice which unfortunately is not available in Indonesia (or at least near where I live)

WellOff

Reaction score
What is in your water? Really need to know that in order to identify a solution.. Need some numbers from a lab (or if you have water testing equipment).

Gsmith22

Reaction score
Welloff is correct, its hard to recommend if we don't know what the potential problems are. That being said, if drinking water and septics are mixing, then certainly UV would be a very good thing to have. Could also inject chlorine to sanitize the water. lots of sanitizing options.

That being said, I think the words "filter" and "filtration" get overused when describing water treatment and potentially confuse the understanding of the various processes that exist. Filters, whether that is a 50 micron spin down or 0.1 micron ultrafilter, catch solid particles suspended in water (ie not dissolved in the water). Imagine a baseball being caught in a batting net to visualize "filtration" of non-dissolved solid particles Unfortunately the word "filter" also gets used with other processes such as adsorption, absorption, and ion exchange. While these processes remove stuff from water, they don't do it in the same way as described above. Adsorption and absorption use media that you run the water through to essentially attract and adhere to the surface or interior, respectively, dissolved substances at the atomic or molecular level. Ion exchange replaces one molecule for another - so adding Na to the water while simultaneously removing Ca or Mg as in the case of a cation water softener. You can't "filter" a dissolved item but you could adsorb, absorb, or potentially exchange it. Likewise, adsorp or absorp or ion exchange will likely do nothing to help you with suspended solids in the water.

I bring this up simply because ultrafiltration will remove very, very small non-dissolved solid particulate. This would be good if in fact that is your problem. But the vast majority of problems in water involve dissolved substances that ultrafiltration won't help with. You have to know what you have as an issue in order to determine what process can correct the issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks