Filox iron filter media leaking into pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

goldcakes

Reaction score
We have a 6-year-old Filox iron filter with a Fleck 2510 control. I believe the tank is a Vortech.

We have a sediment filter installed after the iron filter, and for the first time, there are some granules in it that I assume are the Filox media leaking out into the pipe.

What could cause this? How much of a problem is it?

We also have a UV purification system downstream, and the alarm is triggering frequently when demand is high, such as flushing the toilet. Could it be getting fouled somehow by the media (despite the sediment filter)?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If it is a vortech tank and media is getting out of the tank the lower plate is probably cracked. Time for a new tank. As to the UV, we need model numbers etc, there are literally hundreds of small UV systems available.

goldcakes

Reaction score
That's terrible news.

A web search suggests the tank has a 10-year warranty (it's 6 years old). Any idea whether a crack would be covered?

The UV is a Viqua UVMax D4+. The sensor keeps going off. Not sure if it's related.

Wouldn't the sediment filter (Big Blue with dual gradient 50-5 microns) block any particles from getting through?

It's possible we just need a new sensor, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

goldcakes

Reaction score
And if we have to replace the tank, should we get new media?

I think the Filox is supposed to last nearly forever, right?

Reach4

Reaction score

goldcakes

Reaction score
Hold everything. We just found the receipt, and it was NOT a Vortech tank, but a regular tank. (The receipt even mentions gravel, which there wouldn't be with a Vortech.)

So does this mean something has gone wrong with the riser?

Reach4

Reaction score
So does this mean something has gone wrong with the riser?
That would be the bottom distributor basket, which is at the bottom of the distributor tube (riser).

How big are these pieces? A few tiny flakes are not really worth worrying about, I don't think.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If you have a failed riser tube it should be replaced prior to a catastrophic failure occurs.
The Filox does not last forever. If it is adequately backwashed and maintained properly it should last 5-10 years. If you do replace it, it might be a good idea to change it to a more modern media ie: Katalox Light. KL is far easier to backwash and there are very few applications that we have not seen it perform as well as Filox but with mush less water.

Considering your system is 6 years old, I would recommend replacing the riser and media.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks