Fernco question

Users who are viewing this thread

TedL

Reaction score
Merry Christmas to all! We're waiting for our college age kids to wake up, so I'm planning things.

Background
I'm moving a horizontal drain/vent line serving our second floor shower, in anticipation of installing a 60" shower unit in the future to replace the current 48" unit. The ceiling is currently open, that's why I want to do it now.

I need to move the line from one side of the joist bay to the other, as the current line location would be directly below the drain opening of a 60" shower.

The final connection will be horizontal, at a point where the 2" line is a vent only, and will be between PVC and ABS. Although the previous plumber solvent welded the two, I try to avoid that.

My questions:
I've seen 2 different Fernco fittings at the big boxes that will go 2" to 2". One has the single, wide ss band covering the full width, and has the "stop" ridge in the middle. The other has the two small ss bands at either end, and no center stop. Which one is prefered for the connection I'm making?

Is there an "all purpose" cement approved for joining two different materials?

Thanks in advance.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
proflex.jpg

If you have to use the mechanical couplings, use the one with the single wide band and 2 clamps - the other is for use underground only...

Last edited by a moderator:

TNPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Mixing plastics

Although a green colored glue is made to solvent weld abs to pvc, I would avoid it and use a fernco. In most parts of the country, mixing abs with pvc is a code violation. I would definately go with the fernco for peace of mind.

Scott

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Moving line

The band that has a stop in it is probably a No-Hub band, I would not use it, they don't fit plastic pipe that well. Use the Fernco without a stop. You can get whats called a shear-ring for the Fernco that has a metal band that covers the out-side of the coupling.

Using a universal glue between ABS and PVC was banned where I live [N.E.] many years ago. I don't know if you can use it where you live, your call. Lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

007plumber

plumbing contractor
Reaction score
007plumber

The small no-hub bands with the stop you refer to are actually made for no-hub cast iron,which is why they don't fit pvc or abs that well. Years ago the company I worked with swapped over from abs to pvc, there is a transition fitting that goes between these two different materials to join them and should pass your local code. If not , I have used many of the ferncos and cannot remember a call back. They also are alot easier to work with in the middle of a run of pipe. Good Luck! After you install test to see if you have a leak before you close up ceiling.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sleeve

That sleeve is made in many different dimensions so that you can find one made for plastic to plastic, which is almost the same as a No-Hub one.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They make ones specifically to go from copper to PVC. The OD of copper is small enough that a regular Pro Flex will distort too much on the copper side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks