Extremely odd toilet behavior

Users who are viewing this thread

das108

Reaction score
Hi all:

I am hoping someone here can shed some light on this situation.

I have a third floor condo in DC. I have a mid-range Kohler toilet.

In the last month or so, my toilet has, for lack of a better term, thrown up periodically.

I've never been in the room when it happened, but no clear timing connection to having actually used it. When I've been home and heard it, it has happened a few times over the course of a few hours. Total I've heard it happen maybe 6 times.

It sounds like a really loud flushing, but it isn't like normal flushing. If the seat is up, there is considerable water on the seat and the floor around, which does not happen when flushing. Also it doesn't re-fill like it would if actually flushed. It seems like some pressure is coming up through the waste line and forcing the water in the bowl up and out.

The toilet has continued to work perfectly fine, but this behavior is really odd.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe a venting issue?

Thanks!

Jim Mills

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the vent is clogged above your toilet. Are you on the top floor? Have you asked the neighbors if they are experiencing the same problem? Could be a dead animal, leaves, trash, politician, etc.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there another toilet through the wall behind the toilet?

das108

Reaction score
Jim:
I am on the third of nine floors. My upstairs neighbor says no troubles. Haven't heard yet from the one just below.

Reach4:
nope -- it backs on to a living room of the unit next door.

das108

Reaction score
Downstairs neighbor reports a few episodes of loud gurgling, but doesn't think any actual splashing.

das108

Reaction score
Sounds like something to harass the building about . . .
I think there may also be water backing up through the drains in the laundry room onto the floor, which is on the other side of a hallway so probably is a separate stack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks