Extremely high amount of sand in new well

Users who are viewing this thread

m4car223

Reaction score
I just had a 6" well drilled. They hit bedrock at 45 feet cased to 52 feet and drilled 145 feet deep total. The pump (230V goulds 3/4 hp submersible) is set at 100 feet. The well was drilled about a week ago and the final instal of the plumbing and wiring was done on thursday. When i first used the water (pump in ground for a week before running) there was a large amount of silt flowing through the water lines in the house. I called the company that set the pump and drilled and they came out yesterday to see why i had a lot of sand. It would plug the aerators on the fauctes in a matter of a couple minutes. They decided on placing a filtering bag over the pump, only now the pump is stuck in the hole. They are unable to lift the pump up much more than a couple feet before it gets jammed on something.

So they placed a patricle seperator after the pressure switch and it works great, cleared up the water and i have no particles coming through the hosue now. Only problem with that is it is filtering so much junk that it plugs up within an hour of changing a filter. I am now rinsing the sild and sand off one filter and replacing it on the hour whenever i am using water.

I know this is a very long post but i was trying to get all the information in it to try to get the best answers i can. Im looking for ideas of what could be wrong or a fix as well as suggestions of dealing with the well company. They are saying if they use a winch to try to dislodge the pump and the PVC breaks before the pump gets unstuck than they will have to get a new pump and have a new well drilled and my expense.

Dan

R

Rancher

It sounds like you have sand and silt on top of the pump, from the uncased portion of the well, it probably should have been continously pumped to develop the well and eliminate the silt that is filtering in. The Pump guy should have been raising and lowering the pump to free it from the sand, not just pulling it out.

Try a different Pump Guy.

Rancher

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
My reponse would be that they screwed up the well and pump installation and if they don't fix it promptly at their cost they can expect to see me in court.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Maybe the prospect of an unhappy customer going to a state authority with the power to put the well driller out of work might get some action.

m4car223

Reaction score
Well my phone calls must have been somewhat annoying as they company has just pulled in to use a winch truck to life the pump out of the well. So we will see what happens. Thanks for the info and ill keep you updated.

Dan

Speedbump

Reaction score
They had better add some more casing to this well to stop this sand. Pulling the pump isn't the cure, it should be just the first step.

bob...

fjr05bluedevil

Reaction score
Your well, my well having same issues what to do.....?

Hello,

Just wondering how this worked out for you?

I just had a well redone, it was a 2.5 inch well and a lighting strike caused the pump (jet pump) to fry and they well company replaced the motor, but we did not have any pressure worth using or like it was pre strike.

So they drilled a 6 inch well and it has been pumping enough sand out to clog shower heads and toilets.

We let it run for a few days like they suggested, it was clear, filled plastic water bottles and saw no sand, so we then ran the garden hose for a day and it was clear, so we used the water and it was fine, then we went to work came home and it was pumping the sand again, this time it stopped up the tiolets and a lot of sand came out in the tub, so we cleaned that out and turned the water back off to the house and let a hose straight from the pump run for 5 days, 12 gpm, ...

So we had yet to pay the well digger, so I went home yesterday and found someone had turned the water off, I was kind of upset, so I turned the water back on and it had little to no pressure, I was thinking maybe I had ran the water level down. I then noticed that a filter had been installed outside before the water comes into the house, after the tank/pressure switch...

We have a 5x5x6 concrete well pit and the tank was installed in it outside the home about 40 feet from our home....

I called the well guy and he came over, the filter that he had installed today was already clogged, so he turned off the water and replaced it, it proceeded to fill up with sand again with in a few min.'s.....

Now it is bypassed and we are pumping the well some more.....

I know nothing about this subject other than i do not feel the pump should be pumping sand as it will ruin it and I think it should be working prior to him getting paid, he thinks he is done and should get paid.....

What should i request that he try to do to fix this ????

I need to contact him sometime this morning....

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mike

Speedbump

Reaction score
I suggest you keep your money until he gets you a sand free well. He either cheaped out on casing or didn't know how to set a screen, or he set too coarse of a screen.

I don't know where you are, but in the two states I have worked in for years, quality of the water under your land is your problem, sand coming from the well was my problem. I believe it's the same everywhere unless you have some very strange geological problems in your area.

bob...

m4car223

Reaction score
Well mike i hate to say it but im glad someone else is having the same problems as i am.

Sorry it took so long to get back with an update. They tried to pull the pump and well the PVC broke where it threads into the pump. So they placed a new pump 30 feet higher (70 feet down from surface). Sand is all gone now. WHen they placed the new pump they put a screen bag over the pump to filter out the sand. Now i have no more sand but i am constantly pulling silty water that still plugs my filters. Some days are worse than others. Some times i can go for a couple days without having to pull the filter and hose the mud off of it so i can get some water pressures. Some days, like today, when im using the water a lot (i.e. using a washing machine) as soon as i put a new filter in it you can almost instantly see the filter get stopped up.

So i ran a hose right off the well head and let it run for about an hour wide open and when i filled up a gallon jug to see how the water is coming out it is clear. But as soon as i shut the hose off and open the valve to let water to to the house the silt returns. I thought it was possibly just some sand and silt that accumulated in the pressure tank but after 2 weeks i would have figured it would have flushed out already.

I just dont know and am feeling a bit let down that i spent that kind of money and still am having water problems.

As for water quality being my problem, i am well aware of that and i am just trying to find out if it could still be a mistake on their part, as in incorrectly drilled well or the casing is not deep enough etc., or if it just is the quality of water.

As for the help i have recieved so far. Im more than happy and thankful for a place to turn to get some opinions of more than one person with some knowledge in the subject. I cant thank y'all enough for the help received thus far.

Raucina

Reaction score
I would not be too quick to blame the driller. Here, one well can be clear like bottled water and another 100' away make all kinds of dirt and grit.

When my driller indicates there might be unstable areas in the hole [6"] I drop a string of slotted 4" pvc down the hole as a liner- it just stands on the bottom. Now the well can cave in as it pleases and I still have a hole in the earth that keeps out most of the sand. Its a cheap safety choice, about a buck a foot and a few hours of labor.

You were a very lucky guy indeed if the pipe broke at the pump! But I would certainly have sent a pvc liner down the hole before setting the next pump - otherwise that one is likely to be incased next.

m4car223

Reaction score
I was wondering about doing something like that, but i let the guys do what they think would be best. Now after pumping my well for about an hour and a half i ran out of water so i am hoping that i can give it a little bit of time to catch back up.

Im not being quick to throw the blame to anyone but a lot of the suggestions that people are throwing my way are things that the well driller should have done and not stuff that i should be responsible for im my eyes.

Gonne try to see if i can get water pressure in my tank again.

Raucina.... Could you send me a PM with a little bit more information about that PVC please??

Raucina

Reaction score
4" PVC for drinking water, slotted by hand or on a chop saw with a very fine kerf saw - possibly a dremel type blade if in sand. Rig up a clamp to hold the pipe string at the bell ends on the casing, glue a section, and repeat. Once I simply used a 1/4 poly rope on the first section and left it in the well - this allows faster work. You could also use true slotted screen made for this situation, but it is expensive. Perhaps the liner in addition to a short section of well screen around the pump [tight fit].

Another advantage is that there is no rubbing of pipes and wires on the rocks anymore and one can go the full life of the pump, other things being equal.

I would pump this well at the absolute lowest rate possible and not try anymore "pump-downs and washouts" - holes cave in when devoid of water, water supports the wall. Keep the water level high and pump at its recovery rate and lower. You might invest in the liner and a big tank.

Also I would pull the pump before it gets trapped next. Soon you might have a column of pumps standing end to end.... and next time the pipe probably will not break at the pump.

Speedbump

Reaction score
So they placed a new pump 30 feet higher (70 feet down from surface). Sand is all gone now. WHen they placed the new pump they put a screen bag over the pump to filter out the sand.

OMG!

I agree with Gary, they have done you several injustices already. Leaving the old pump in there for one. Putting a screen bag over the inlet of the pump! How long before this thing completely plugs up. Not long I'm sure.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks