Extending length of water softener drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Theodore

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm on well water with a pressure tank, and pressure ranges from 40-60psi (pump on-pump off). I'm installing an Aquapure Model CWS200ME water softener. For a drain, I have two options:
1. punch a hole out of the basement wall and dump the water (via an air gap) into a nearby roof downspout drain that ultimately discharges down the hill from me. This is convenient but probably not to code, and might kill off some trees I have down that hill.
2. Go up 4ft in elevation, run within a soffit in the basement exactly 45 linear feet, and then drop into the washing machine drain which goes to a drywell.

The instruction manual says:
1) 1/2” ID up to 15 ft. when discharge is lower than INLET.
2) 5/8” ID up to 15 ft. when discharge is slightly higher than the INLET.
3) 3/4” ID when drain is 25 ft. away and/or drain is installed overhead

I'm not opposed to running a 1"dia pex tube this long (45ft) distance. But would appreciate any experience in this issue.

Thanks
Theodore

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have done a couple softeners where we ran the discharge to to overhead and across about 25'. We used 3/4" CPVC to an air gap above the laundry tray.
I have observed the units during regeneration with no reason to think that the pipe was not big enough to work with no backpressure beyond that which is produced by the inital 3' of head from the valve to the overhead. 1" might be overkill, but it would not hurt anything either.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I doubt you would have any problems running 3/4" PVC or similar sized tubing up 4 feet up and across 45 feet.

Theodore

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
A follow up question: let's say I run that longer length and finish my installation and a few weeks/months go by. If the backpressure is too much for a thorough washout, what would a problem look/sound/smell/taste like?

KPS water

Reaction score
Hello Theodore.
As far as where to drain it I would definitely recommend checking with your local county health dept before you do anything. Every state has different codes and NY it can change county to county.
Fwiw a dry well would be the preferred option assuming it can handle the load? A downspout is not the greatest option obviously with potential environmental impact but also it will freeze in the winter months leaving you with untreated water. No mater how much you pitch it! I would use a 3/4" discharge tubing imo 1" is overkill. Make sure you hang the tubing properly and when making your connection adhear to county code and airgap laws.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It is useful to remember that 1" pex is only .875 actual i.d., and then when insert fittings are used, they are creating additional restrictions. Anytime PEX is used, it should be sized up one size in comparison to the equivalent copper or CPVC tube size.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks