Exposed wall PEX in conduit

Users who are viewing this thread

Deathtofishy

Reaction score
I've replaced all the galvanized lines in a duplex of mine with expansion PEX except where the supply lines come in at the bottom of a basement and go up a wall. Photo is attached.

The two supply lines coming into a duplex that are galvanized. Changing the supply lines from the meter to the house is prohibitive as they run under the porch, are 10ft underground and are quite a distance from the meter.

My plan is to tie the PEX into the galvanized supply lines with brass adapters. This is what I have done in the floor joists areas above to connect to the PEX and it has worked perfectly.

However, because this area of the basement is exposed, I'm trying to figure out the best method to protect the PEX from accidently being punctured/impacted. You never know what a tenant or their child is capable of....

I see that they put 3/4" PEX in 1 1/4" conduit for 90 degree bends. I was hoping to just sleeve the PEX with 1 1/4" conduit for this area to protect it? Not sure if there is any issues with this, code or otherwise that I can't think of?

I could do copper, but I keep seeing mixed opinions on it degrading the galvanized even if there is brass (6" nipple or dielectric union) in between. Given how many corroded unions I've seen on water heaters, it would seem better to do just the PEX.

I don't really want to cover the area up as having access to the valves would be good if the tenant needs to shut off water in an emergency.

Attachments

• IMG_3086.jpg
    IMG_3086.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 227

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have not done the conduit route, though I see no problem with it.
I have done the pipe insulation over it, the kind with the self stick is what I use.

Deathtofishy

Reaction score
I was thinking the pipe insulation too... obviously last tenants used those blue pool noodles to "protect" the galvanized, or themselves from bumping in to it.

New tenants moving in have 3 and 5 year old boys. That makes me a bit nervous so that's where I was thinking conduit, but I may be over thinking it.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
They make PVC pipe insulation jackets, so you could put a jacket on the pipe insulation to provide a more durable surface.

Cheers, Wayne

Fitter30

Reaction score
Being 3 and 5 at one time and a perfect child i could tear up a anvil. Build a heavy plywood box hinge on one side latch on the other since pipes are going multiple ways.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Being 3 and 5 at one time and a perfect child i could tear up a anvil. Build a heavy plywood box hinge on one side latch on the other since pipes are going multiple ways.

I was thinking just a door too

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks