Existing drain too shallow for new basement bath?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hawk47

Reaction score
I am getting started on adding a basement bath. I tore up the concrete where I plan to tie into the existing 4 inch ABS main drain; about 3 feet from where it leaves the house. The existing pipe is much shallower than I expected: At this location, which is the farthest downstream where I can tie in, the top of the pipe is 6 inches from the slab surface. The slab itself is two inches thick, with sand in between.

I plan on running 4 inch for the new drain, so in theory I will have enough depth to get the proper slope while keeping the pipe below the slab, but it still seems awfully shallow. Adding to the issue is that I was hoping to install the new basement toilet about 12 feet away from the wye. If I keep the toilet in this location, I will use a street 90 up to the flange, but it seems to be pushing it.

I cant find any specific burial depth requirement from my city for drain depth under the slab in an existing structure when it is inside of the building foot print, so I am assuming that as long as the drain is not embedded in concrete I should be ok.

Should I remove all doubt and alter my plans so that the length of the new drain is reduced? Is it typical for existing drains to be this shallow?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks