Electric water heater closet

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark- DFW

Reaction score
I need to add an electric water heater closet for a bathroom remodel. The access door would be in an adjacent den area. Other than sufficient clearance for removal, does the door need sealing at the bottom, a lock, or anything else beyond a simple pre-hung hollow core door with a latch/knob?

I'm in the design phase so still flexible on the solution. Thanks for any help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If necessary, it does not even need a door, since it is NOT a gas heater. If it were, there would be a LOT of restrictions, including you might not even be able to install it there.

Phog

Reaction score
You'll want to plan space adequate to have a water heater + thermal expansion tank + drip pan. Other than that, nothing special needed. If it's possible, it's always a good idea to have a nearby drain to connect to the drip pan (especially if there are finished areas on lower floors underneath where the water heater lives).

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
Here's my "closet." And it's been a PIA for 40 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 162
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks