Elastomer vs Neoprene

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim454

Reaction score
I was curious if an elastomer gasket would work for a wall hung toilet? The shop that sold me the toilet also sold me the elastomer gasket (because that's what they had), and said that it would most definitely work for a wall mounted toilet because it wasn't wax, and would still maintain a seal even if there was slight movement.

I haven't seen much of these gaskets mentioned on any forums. I've also read on here that neoprene is the correct choice. I was able to source a Zurn neoprene gasket at a local Grainger but they want like $80.

Do you folks think I'd be fine with the elastomer gasket or should I pay the extra money for the Zurn neoprene? I'm just a DYIer with a little over $550 for the toilet, tank, seat (all 3 separately) , and Zurn mounting nuts.

Also when tightening the mounting nuts, is it best to leave one of the upper or lower nuts hand tight?

Attachments

• SpecPagebg.jpg
    SpecPagebg.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Sloan and Zurn had been industry standard for decades.
The elastomeric products are new to me but since they come in a variety of thicknesses, looks quite viable.
When four bolt wall mount WC are done by the book/mfrs instructions, and the adjustable depth set exactly as per spec., then the kits we have used from the mfrs are fine. But a neo gasket should be under $20. and never $80.

Tim454

Reaction score
Sloan and Zurn had been industry standard for decades.
The elastomeric products are new to me but since they come in a variety of thicknesses, looks quite viable.
When four bolt wall mount WC are done by the book/mfrs instructions, and the adjustable depth set exactly as per spec., then the kits we have used from the mfrs are fine. But a neo gasket should be under $20. and never $80.

Thank you for the reply.

I know the waste horn should be out 5/8 from the finished wall, and the rear nuts and washers should sit flush with the wall. I also bought a 3/4" and a 1/2" gasket (they're stackable) incase the depth isn't right and can't be adjusted.

Unfortunately I can only seem to find the Zurn neoprene gasket on Amazon and locally at Grainger but both places have it listed at $79. That price seemed extremely high so I was hoping the elastomer gaskets would work. Guess I might roll the dice with the elastomer gasket, I'd just hate to get a leak and have to redo everything over again.

I did some more digging and think I found Terry mention that it should be one of the top nuts hand tight and not the bottom, but can't seem to find it again. Am I correct on that?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks