Removing toilet to clean under

Users who are viewing this thread

corsair

Reaction score
I have a relatively Modern Gerber 1.6gpf floor mount rear discharge toilet. After a leak, a seal replace, and a leak 9 years ago and probably through this forum we realized that wax seals on rear discharge are a big no-no, especially when next to a heater, and replaced with a neoprene gasket, presumably some Zurn.

Fast forward 9 years and I'm feeling good about how I put the seal on and how I got the shims on the toilet right to reduce bowl movement. And, well, several years ago the caulk disintegrated and I was always going to replace it...

Now 3 young boys later and I haven't and we probably have pee under the toilet.

I'm nervous that somehow I fluked the setup just right and if I touch it to remove the toilet and clean under it, it'll never sit right again. Are rear discharge toilets too finicky to touch with a 10-foot-pole, or am I overthinking my original leak when we had the wax seals?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I set 96 of them last year. They are easy and fine to take off and reset.

They make different thickness gaskets for them as long as you have the right one as a replacement you should be good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks