Dying well pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Plainview

Reaction score
I'm having issues with a slow well. I haven't had any problems until the last couple of weeks. I have a low flow rate and am unable to maintain the pressures that I used to get. I used to have at least 50psi with one of my sprinkler zones on (that's what the cycle stop valve is set at) but that on that same zone I'm currently getting ~28psi with the sprinklers running.

I have a 1-1/2 hp pump of unknown type and age. I have a 6" steel casing. The well depth is 112' and the static water level is 12'. There aren't any new wells in the area. I have a 25' deep house well nearby with a jet pump and the flow rate from that is currently fine. I get a small amount of sandy sediment through the pump. The water is somewhat hard, leaving white mineral deposits on showerheads and such, but we don't need to soften our water.

The well was deepened in 1997, and that may well be the last time the pump was replaced. The pump controller I replaced a couple of years ago was dated 1981.

Any thoughts on what to look at? Is my best bet to call the pump company out (I don't think I'm up to pulling the pump myself).

Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can do an open flow bucket test and see how many amps the motor is drawing. If at open flow it is drawing less than 11.8 amps the pump is worn or the screen is clogged. Sand usually causes a gradual decrease in pressure and flow.

But if this happened fairly rapidly, it could be a hole in the drop pipe. In that case the pump would be pulling 11.8 amps and you just wouldn't be getting enough water with the bucket test. Also the water may or may not fall back down the drop pipe when the pump is turned off, depending on where the hole is.

Either way the problem is down the well and not much you can tell until you get it pulled out. 112' on plastic pipe could be a DIY project. On steel pipe you probably need some help.

Plainview

Reaction score
Thanks Cary, very helpful.

Is there a way to tell if the drop pipe is PVC or steel? The top of the casing has a flat steel plate with a steel pipe coupling sticking through the plate. There are also some bolts on the top plate.

What is the best way to measure the amperage? With one of those clamp on ammeters? Can I do it with a regular multimeter inside the control box?

Attachments

• DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 135

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Looks like you also have a Dole valve coming out of the pump. Just loosen the bolts on the well seal. DO NOT REMOVE THEM COMPLETELY OR THE OTHER END WILL FALL DOWN THE WELL. With the bolts loose and the pipe disconnected, just see if you can lift the pump off the well seal. If it is really heavy it is steel. If it comes up a few inches you will see the white PVC pipe below that galv coupling on top.

Multi-meter won't do. You need a clip around amp meter clipped around one if the hot wires.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks