Dual Sump Pump Question

What should I do with my second sump pump? (see post #1 for details)

• Keep the sump pump/basin #2 completely dry and don't run it at all until sump pump #1 dies.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Run the water softener backwash into the sump basin #2. Sump pump will run 1-2 days/week.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Run RO waste water into sump basin #2. Sump pump #2 will run once or twice a day

• Don't worry about it. It won't seize up from being wet and not used for months/years at a time.

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

stealle

Reaction score
I have a new house recently built. I had the builder install two 18" sump basins right next to each other. The house uses a form-a-drain around the basement foundation. The form-a-drain is tied into sump basin #1. There is a short piece of PVC that connects the 2 sump basins up close to the top of the basins. In the event that sump pump #1 dies, water will rise and spill over into sump basin #2 where the second sump pump will kick on and take over. (FYI, sump pump #1 currently kicks on about every 2-3 minutes. It has been VERY rainy here. The ground is very saturated. I doubt it will ever run more often than it is now.)

I'm just wondering about the 2nd sump pump... I'm worried about an unused sump pump seizing up if it rarely gets used. So, I'm considering these options.

1) Keep the sump pump and basin #2 completely dry and don't run the sump pump at all until sump pump #1 dies?

2) Run my water softener backwash into the sump basin #2. It would only run 1-2 nights a week when the water softener regenerates.

3) I have my reverse osmosis located in the basement. (which goes to 4 locations throughout the house). I can have my RO waste water go into sump basin #2. This would probably make sump pump #2 run once or twice a day.

4) Don't worry about it. It won't seize up from being wet and not used for months or even years at a time.

What do you think about these options? Or, does anyone have a better idea all together?

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score

I voted; I think you should use it versus letting it sit. My family had a tri-level home; the foundation was lined with troughs routed to a sump pump. Anything that sits without use has the potential to cease working.

In fact I am looking to build currently, and while the home will not be tri-level I want troughs around the perimeter foundation that drains into a sump pump basin.
Sincerely

Cameron Fields

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks