Drip Behind the Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

kcarmean

Reaction score
We bought a rehabbed house that is very old 150 yrs old. I doubt the plumbing was replaced when the house was fixed up. We have a drip/leak that happens when we use the third floor shower. We we resealed the shower and that doesnt seem to be the problem. There are no drips after the shower is off for 5 minutes. WE hear the drip behind the walls and we hear it all the way down to the first floor. Is there an easy way to locate the leak before tearing up all of the walls. Do you think the pipes leak throughout the house or just behind the walls of the shower?
We cut a hole behind the shower and built a trap door, but there are no leaks where the shower head is.
what would be the second step after finding the leak. Thank you for your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Fill a 5-gallon bucket full of water from somewhere other than the bathroom, then pour it down the drain in the shower. If you have a leak then, it is from the shower pan or the drain lines. If it doesn't leak from pouring it down the drain, try again and this time throw it on the wall of the shower. See if you have a leak. If you get no leaks after innundating all of the walls and the shower pan, then it has to be leaking from the supply line.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak?

Do you SEE a leak, or just hear it? If you only hear it then it is probably pipe expansion when warm water flows through the pipe and heats it up.

kcarmean

Reaction score
Re:

We only hear the leak through the walls. It's a drip that occurrs from the third floor and drips down to the first floor. If it is pipe expansion, would I have to replace the pipes or is there a fix for this?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If it is pipe expansion you only need to correct it if the noise is bothersome enough to warrent opening up the walls to find the spot causing the noise and then fix it.

It could be very costly depending on where the problem is.

If it is pipe expansion the pipe is rubbing on wood as it expands and contracts creating the "dripping" sound. You woud make the hole larger or move the pipe so it wasn't contacting wood.

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Humorous memory working with a "strict" apprentice who decided to drill all his water pipe holes tight to "keep the pipes from rattling".
He didn't like me much when I had him go back and ream everything.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
PVC pipe expands and contracts quite a bit with changes in temperature. If it is rubbing against anything, it will make noise. Running it through a tight hole is just asking for noise problems.

kcarmean

Reaction score
5 Gallon Bucket did it

So I took the 5 gallon bucket of water and sure enough I had a drip in the wall from the third floor down to the second. Does this mean it is from the shower pan or the drain lines? If so is this an expensive fix? I have a closet under the shower so I guess I would have to cut through the wall there?
THanks for all your help gang. I'm slowly starting to understand this. FIrst time homeowner!

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If you are lucky, it is in the drain and not from a leaking shower pan. If you can open the ceiling underneath the shower, you should be able to get a better idea. If it is the shower pan, then usually, replacement is required - there are no topical fixes that realiably work. Check out www.johnbridge.com for help with tiling.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
if you just poured water only into the drain, then it is the drain that is the problem. Period.

open the ceiling, directly under the drain. Not the wall. Be prepared for some standing water to come out after you pierce the ceiling. Where the joists are, they may be directing water to flow one way or another, and then it drips into a wall cavity. So the noise is in the wall but the leak is accessible from the ceiling.

david

Last edited:

Nate R

Reaction score
PVC pipe expands and contracts quite a bit with changes in temperature. If it is rubbing against anything, it will make noise. Running it through a tight hole is just asking for noise problems.

I guess I assumed he meant supply lines, which I was thinking would've been copper.

kcarmean

Reaction score
Re:David

Thank you for your help.
THe shower is over a 2nd floor walk in closet. At some point I'm gonig to open the ceiling. Until then I'm not going to use the third floor shower. I'm not a plumber and I know nothing about the configuration of a drain. Should I seek a proffesional's advice or is there a manual/book I can follow to fix this. I'm trying to save money but I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
Kyle

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You really won't know until you can look to see what's going on. Depending on where it's leaking, it may be fairly simple. It also depends on what the pipes are made of.

ShannonT

Reaction score
Before you call the plumber

Before you call in the plumber, go ahead and cut that hole in the closet ceiling, directly under the drain and see what you have.

Oh wait, do you have plaster walls and ceilings? That may make the hole cutting and patching a real pain. I was thinking sheetrock.

At the very least, you could post some pictures and get some advice here before calling in someone to fix it for you. It's always nice to have an idea of what the problem is and how it is fixed before that "professional" comes digging in your wallet.

Please, I have nothing against true professionals that do right by people. It is the fly by night, slap some bubblegum on it ones that just burn me!:mad:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Do a search on Ridgid Sea snake.I Have one, drill small holes in walls and ceilings, find that stinker! Plumb supplies have em., Around $250.
Where You live ? If Near S .F.I can help :)

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
some like tools, some like fixing what's broke. Both approaches work. I'd break the ceiling, before spending money on a plumber or on a tool. You already know that there is a leak. No plumber will be able to do anything or say anything until he has access to the offending drain pipe. Break the ceiling. You can safely do so without risking being told later that it was "actually" an unnecessary step. Just like ShannonT said.

david

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Yes I like tools. Been building homes ,repairing them for 45 years. Not to mention union carp and pile buck as a cert. welder.
Now what's Your experience Genie? I see none listed.
If You would like to see how this tool has saved messes ,and money go to RIDGID TALK FORUM. GO TO RIDGID MICRO SEA SNAKE.
And send the cheap shots elsewhere !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks