Dresser Compression Couplings on Gas Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Adinol

Reaction score
Greetings,

This is my first post here, although I've browsed this forum many times in the past for information.

Let me get right to my question.

I have an old brownstone, in Brooklyn, NY. On the main service line there are two dresser compression fittings. One between the pressure regulator and the meter and the other on the pressure release line.

Here are some photos.

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

Somewhere else on this forum I came across the information that these dressed fittings are usually used for temporary repairs. I've owned the house for 9 years and there were already 2 inspectors here the looked specifically a the gas lines and said nothing about those fittings. There's no leak, no other problem.

Do those fittings perhaps have to be there, by some old code?

Or if those were temporary fixes, am I eventually required to remove them?

I would like to frame the basement walls, to put insulation, so before those gas pipes get buried behind new sheetrock, I would like to know if it would be best to have these couplings replaced by solid pipes.

What do you think?

Thanks...

Adinol

Reaction score
I actually got the answer I needed, from a plumber.

Those are needed by code, to isolate the house gas line from the main line, in case there are any stray electrical currents in the house gas line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks