Compression dresser coupling okay?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYrental

Reaction score
I’m in the last stage of replacing all of my galvanized water lines to Pex. So far so good.

Originally I thought about replacing the main water line outside as well, but will tackle that next summer…so…I need to cut the galvanized line coming in from the main and connect it to my house Pex. I’ve got a good clear line in the crawl space and was thinking the easiest would be to cut the galvanized pipe and then using a compression dresser coupling to a galvanized nipple (threaded) then with a brass fitting, attaching my Pex line.

It will be before the pressure reducer, should I trust a compression dresser coupling for this? Thoughts? Thanks!

DIYrental

Reaction score
I havent used those much the biggest fear for me is them blowing apart.
That’s what my instinct is telling me, especially since I can’t guarantee a controlled pressure from the street. There is an elbow before hand that I think I’ll try unscrewing a cut piece out of first. In your experience is it pretty tough to unscrew a 70 year oldish piece of 3/4” galvanized pipe from a fitting?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Compression couplings are pretty reliable but since you are installing it where you can't readily see it I would feel pretty secure if you secured both ends of the pipe to prevent a blow out. It's good for only temporary.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 105

Reach4

Reaction score
How big is the galvanized pipe? If 1-1/4, you may be able to run 3/4 inch SIDR pipe thru that, if it is a straight run from the meter, and feed the house from that. Might even be able to use 1 inch PEX or other 1 inch CTS plastic pipe.

DIYrental

Reaction score
Just a quick update for anyone interested. I ended up trying to unscrew the existing galvanized pipe, with no success. I tried PB blaster, tried heating it up till it was glowing, tried brute force - nothing.

So…I cut it off and used a manual pipe threader and was able get my 1” PEX attached with some fittings. I imagine there are some potential issues using a bronze fitting and galvanized (different metals). But I’m going to be having the main to street replaced next summer, so ah well.

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just a quick update for anyone interested. I ended up trying to unscrew the existing galvanized pipe, with no success. I tried PB blaster, tried heating it up till it was glowing, tried brute force - nothing.

So…I cut it off and used a manual pipe threader and was able get my 1” PEX attached with some fittings. I imagine there are some potential issues using a bronze fitting and galvanized (different metals). But I’m going to be having the main to street replaced next summer, so ah well.

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated!
great good job, old galvie not easy sometimes. sounds like it should be good till you run new line

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks