Drain for dishwasher. Reroute?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jackie123

Reaction score
Hi,
Unfortunately dishwasher repair person said my problem is the drain for my dishwasher is plugged where it goes into abs drain pipe. More unfortunate, is that the hose for the dishwasher goes though the floor into basement behind an enclosed finished wall. Can not see where it joins the drain pipe in wall. I know I can take some of the drywall down and fix problem but then I hole in wall and drain still be in wall. I am wondering if I could hook up the dishwasher drain hose to drain pipe for bathroom sink(that runs behind dishwasher) that I have access too though the kitchen wall. See picture. This pipe joins into a 4 inch drain pipe from kitchen sink and bathtub. Worried about back flow into dishwasher. Can I install a trap? Is their a special valve that can be installed to stop any problems. The kitchen sink is not close to dishwasher.The hole in wall is behind stove in the picture, close to dishwasher. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really do not want to wreck the wall.

Attachments

• IMG_20160403_131751.jpg
    IMG_20160403_131751.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_20160403_132453.jpg
    IMG_20160403_132453.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 250

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
dishwasher tailpiece.jpg
The DW should be plumbed above the trap, not directly into a sewer drain. You could plumb it into the downpipe of the bathroom drain if you changed the tailpiece with the Y in it. Not sure if they make one for a typical vanity sink tailpiece...a kitchen sink's is usually larger in diameter.

FWIW, those rubber connectors shown of the pipe are NOT approved for use in the house. You need ones that have a metal reinforcement band around them. See how the pipe droops at the junction? That's going to slow waste flow...the pipe needs to be sloped continually with at least 1/4"/foot and that all rubber joint droops, messing that up. A proper reinforced coupling will prevent that droop if installed properly.

Last edited:

Jackie123

Reaction score
View attachment 33614 The DW should be plumbed above the trap, not directly into a sewer drain. You could plumb it into the downpipe of the bathroom drain if you changed the tailpiece with the Y in it. Not sure if they make one for a typical vanity sink tailpiece...a kitchen sink's is usually larger in diameter.

FWIW, those rubber connectors shown of the pipe are NOT approved for use in the house. You need ones that have a metal reinforcement band around them. See how the pipe droops at the junction? That's going to slow waste flow...the pipe needs to be sloped continually with at least 1/4"/foot and that all rubber joint droops, messing that up. A proper reinforced coupling will prevent that droop if installed properly.

Jackie123

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful information. I think draining it into the bathroom would be good. The tailpiece for the bathroom is smaller. Kitchen tailpiece are 1 1/2 and bathroom 1 1/4. I checked but it seems as if they only make one size 1 1/2 inch.Wondering if I could find some sort of adapter I could attached to the bathroom tail piece to make it fit? I will change the rubber connection that is sagging on the drain pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks