Does the orientation of a supply tee matter for water flow rate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Temp945

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am installing my shower valve and volume controls and need to use a tee to split the supply after the thermostatic valve to provide service to the shower head and hand shower.

Does the orientation of the tee matter if I want the shower head and hand shower to have the same flow rate when both are turned on?

The tee can be oriented so that the water flows straight through to the showerhead and branches off to the hand shower, like so:

Straight.jpg

My intuition tells me that the lower resistance of the straight-through path to the shower head would result in the shower head having greater flow than the hand shower when both are turned on, but I don't know this for sure.

The tee can also be oriented so that the water hits the "dead end" of the tee and flows left to the shower head and right to the hand shower, like so:

Equal.jpg

This orientation seems like it would result in equal resistance to both the shower head and hand shower, which would result in equal flow, but installing the tee in the latter ("dead end") orientation will require me to make several 90-degree bends in the supply line to make the connections thereafter, so if it doesn't matter, I'd prefer to go with the first option.

Thanks for reading!

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the orientation of the tee matter if I want the shower head and hand shower to have the same flow rate when both are turned on?
The flows are much more likely to be limited by the respective showerheads. Some showerheads have a flow control that tries to keep the same flow when the incoming pressure changes.

Your analysis is valid in theory, but the effect of the differences in tee orientation are going to be too small to measure for normal showerheads.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Normally under good plumbing practices we never use the bull of a tee to supply water as it has to much friction loss going through two 90 Deg angles

Going straight to the shower head is the way to go

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
Probably considering the location it won’t hurt anything but as been noted not ideal if you were say plumbing a whole house or running a bathroom off that configuration.

Temp945

Reaction score
Thanks guys - I'll install the tee so that it flows straight through to the shower head.

Much appreciated!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks