Does the dimension on a tub surround include the flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Quicky question hopefully. I am framing the alcove for a new tub. I looked at a couple in the big orange box this morning. They clearly state the dimensions are 60"x32" or 60"x30" on the ones I am looking at. Does that 32" include the flange on the front or do I need to be framing out for 33" minimum maybe 34" to be safe?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Usually, the wall treatment fine detail comes in to play when figuring framing also. More frame is always safe but would never recommend any framing until you have tub on site.

Reaction score
How about part or model numbers so that the specs for those can be looked up?
Sorry, Terry, at the time I had not chosen one. I was hoping it was sort of standardized. Anyway, I chose one now and got the installation manual. Laid out the studs just as they diagramed. Hopefully the flange on the side where the wall stops and turns will not stick out beyond the drywall if they set me up right. Though I will still have to figure out how to trim the corner right there at the flange.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
60x32 means from stud faces 60 inches...... 32 inches means from the wall to finish edge of enclosure is 32 depending on situation a stud can be added especially easy for a framer with a nail gun

Reaction score
60x32 means from stud faces 60 inches...... 32 inches means from the wall to finish edge of enclosure is 32 depending on situation a stud can be added especially easy for a framer with a nail gun
Yeah I have realized after looking at several installation documents that typically that 32" does not include the flange. Therefore my wall needs to actually be at least 32 plus the flange. In my case the one I purchased this morning says the outside edge of the stud needs to be at 33 1/4". Based on the size of the vanity in the room that is as much as I can give it anyway. As I said above I am hoping that The manual is super accurate and I will be able to round that corner with the drywall. It is going to be tight.
This is the corner I am dealing with...
1667823423926.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
cut the flange no biggie wack a 1/4 off it or even a 1/2 inch off . wouldnt want to but why not?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks