Does a Maxitrol 325-3 Regulator step the natural gas pressure down to 1/2 PSI?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Studly, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Studly

Studly Member

In my home, I have a main natural gas line coming in at 2 PSI, and then a branch goes to a Maxitrol 325-3 regulator, which then goes to the gas lines feeding my furnace, water heater and dryer. I assume that regulator steps the pressure down to 1/2 PSI? Is that correct and isn't that what those appliances require? I don't see any other regulators between that one and those three appliances.

2. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

7-11" WC which is 1/4psi to almost 1/2psi. Then the gas valve on each unit will drop it to usually 3.5WC

Jeff H Young likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Jeff H Young likes this.
  4. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

They do things differant there generaly we have a regulator where it comes in the house we dont get to run 2 psi withen building . Thats Medium pressure need permission to run that inside

5. Studly

Studly Member

Thank for the helpful info!

6. Studly

Studly Member

A plumber told me the main line is at 2 PSI ... is that common in certain parts of the country? I'm in Minnesota. I've read that many people have 1/2 PSI throughout, like you probably do. That's probably more common, right?

7. Martin Boring

Martin Boring In the Trades

In my area you are seeing a lot more 2 PSI coming into the house as the gas loads have gone up with demand water heaters and more gas fireplaces. and a Maxitrol stepping it down to run to the different gas appliances. Even a lot of the LP new installs are running 2 PSI into the house and stepping it down inside the house.

Jeff H Young and Reach4 like this.
  8. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

Ive never seen or heard of a house with that high a pressure here. Im guessing there are exceptions like some mansion or castle but Medium pressure gas is almost impossible to get through a building department for a simple tankless water heater install or a pool heater coming off a line inside the house. If you gotta run a dedicated 2 inch line from meter to a appliance so be it