Do you guys use these fernco's

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by plumber69, Aug 18, 2020.

1. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

Weather it be 1.5" 2" 3" 4". If so where do you use them. Where do you not use them

Attached Files:

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    They're only allowed where both ends of the pipe are well supported so that they don't shift, like buried and properly backfilled to keep them there.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2020
    Terry H likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Terry H likes this.
  4. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

Ive used them typically underground Also I like them a littled better on crusty rough old pipe they are a little longer so I figure might be better in such situations. Ive used them under a house too going from old cast iron to plastic but might not be legal the important thing is that its alighned and supported . And of cource make sure they are aprooved

5. Helper Dave

Helper Dave In the Trades

I'm interested in this topic, because I hear so many saying they're only allowed underground, etc.

By WI code (we do our own thing, but it's not lax standards, imo), we can use flexible couplings anywhere so long as it's "installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions," and Fernco allows "in home" installations on vertical pipes in their documentation. They say the pipes need to be supported, but then we fall back to our own codes regarding that.

I haven't dug into other code to see if they say otherwise, but I'd be curious if there is a limitation specifically stated.

6. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

never looked into legality of thier use.