Do these old stub pipes typically have a set screw or just use a caulk seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim222

Reaction score
Late 1940s/early 1950s vanity drain pipe. The metal nut that connects to the trap has corroded and crumbled to dust, so I need to replace the drain pipe. But it won't budge in the stub that comes up out of the tiled floor. The former owners tiled over tile, so I don't know if there's a set screw below tile level securing the drain pipe in the stub pipe. Did they typically use set screws?

Attachments

• Bathroom Sink Drain Pipe.JPG
    Bathroom Sink Drain Pipe.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 254

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
take a wire brush and scrub around the joint.. Look for a solder joint. a lot of old sink drains were installed that way. if it is soldered you'll need this.

Attachments

• 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 237
  • D2605.jpg
    D2605.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 224
  • p_1000514556.jpg
    p_1000514556.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

Tim222

Reaction score
take a wire brush and scrub around the joint.. Look for a solder joint. a lot of old sink drains were installed that way. if it is soldered you'll need this.

Thank you, James Henry. You were right about the solder. Does that threaded ring get soldered around the old sleeve? Then a compression gasket and the compression nut are used to establish the new seal with the waste pipe?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you, James Henry. You were right about the solder. Does that threaded ring get soldered around the old sleeve? Then a compression gasket and the compression nut are used to establish the new seal with the waste pipe?
Correct. You will have to heat up that drain pipe to soften the solder and pull the stand pipe up and out. If you want you can just clean everything up and re-solder the pipe back in place.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that was an S trap, so your new drain system should incorporate an AAV.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you looking for something pretty, or something that you can conceal?

What is the OD of that pipe?

studor_lg_trapvent.jpg
Query

I am thinking of cutting that vertical, put a chrome slip 90 on top, and feed a Studor trap vent into the 90. Photos not to scale. I don't know if there is enough space.
https://ipscorp.com/plumbing/brands/studor/trap-vent/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks