Advice on corroded cast iron toilet flange on a powder room remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr Blint

Reaction score
asktom wrote: I am not a big fan of instant-set style rings because you need to cut a larger hole in the subfloor and that can compromise your ability to fasten the ring to the floor because the screw hole is near the edge of the cut. If the screws don't hold then the toilet is held to the floor by the ring, and they can pull loose in that case.

That's exactly the problem I'm confronting. The cast-iron hub actually sticks up a little higher than the floor joists (about 3/16 inch).

I've bought two kinds of flanges. The metal one, and this one that fits inside the pipe:

http://www.oatey.com/doc/cast-iron-flange-replacement.pdf

I need to replace the pipe inside the hub in any case. Black Swan Mfg wouldn't say if the Soil-O would form a long-lasting seal with PVC.

And I gather it's not acceptable and the inspector wants old-school lead+oakum. So I will have to try to find a small piece of 4" pipe.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks