Do Pedestal sump pumps need a weep hole?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dee2

Reaction score
When installing my Pedestal sump pump should I drill a weep hole? And If so, I am thinking it should be above the water line and below the pump motor, yes? thanks

Dee2

Reaction score
I just joined this group and I am testing to see if I have my account set up correctly because no one has responded yet and I need to replace the pump today.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Above the pump and below the check valve. Ideally Drilled at a 45 DEG angle so the water will shoot DOWN inside the sump

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have never drilled a weep hole and never had to. Mind you, I don't use a check valve but rather let the discharge line drain back into the sump pit. That way I don't have to worry about standing water in the drain line freezing.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I have never drilled a weep hole and never had to. Mind you, I don't use a check valve but rather let the discharge line drain back into the sump pit. That way I don't have to worry about standing water in the drain line freezing.
You must like short cycling of the sump pump . Most sump pumps are installed in a heated area

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You must like short cycling of the sump pump . Most sump pumps are installed in a heated area
I have the float setup so that it runs a minimum of 60 seconds. I could set the float much higher but that would cut into the 4 hours it typically takes for the level to breach the top of the pit. During Spring thaw the pump runs about once per hour and when raining really hard, every fifteen minutes. I monitor and trend it with software. 2:00 AM was when my iron filter backwashed.
01-09-49-07.png

The pump is in a heated area but the far end of the discharge pipe where it breaks to the surface is outside.

The discharge pipe goes down below the footing and continues (below the frost line) to slope down until it turns vertical to the surface, so it is only a portion of the short vertical section that drains back into the pit. The entire run is insulated including the vertical where it breaks to the surface. I keep good snow cover over it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks