Do I need to clear rag in drain line?

Users who are viewing this thread

sd_homeowner

Reaction score
Short version - Appears a rag got into the toilet drain and gone down. :eek: Wondering if I need to do anything more at this point.

long version - We were have floor renovations done in the hall bath and the toilet was out so I had a diaper rag in the drain hole (to keep stuff out, gas back). Floor guy must have tucked it in more to get it out of his way. Appears it got sucked down when adjacent toilet (Toto Drake 1.6) flushed and created some backup.

As we were trying to figure out what was going on, wound up flushing that adjacent toilet a few times. It backed up after 3 rapid flushes. Did this cycle twice then it appeared to clear. At this point no backup.

I ran a small snake in to about 8 ft and pipe appears to be clear to point where it heads down from second floor. I'm not seeing any more backup but I wondering if I'm just delaying issues. Do I need to do anything to try to get that rag out?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rag

At this point it may be useless to do anything. All you can do is keep using things and wait to see if it lodges somewhere and causes a stoppage or keeps on going all the way to the city main, at which point it becomes someone else's problem.

sd_homeowner

Reaction score
Rag

Looks like it made its way out lower. I noticed some backup spillage around a basement bar sink on same line. That drain seems to be ok now also.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like you got lucky. That rag is probably in the city treatment plant by now. Of course, keep an eye on the drains, and if it did hang up and you get a backup, that would be the time to call a plumber to auger the line, but my bet would be on it being long gone.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Keep monitoring your sewer for signs of a backup and hope for the best. If it does stop up at least then you will know where it is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks