Do I need check valve on my sump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kubstix

Reaction score
Just had my garage re-concreted and I had the crew dig a pit for a sump before my pour. Do I need a check valve? What purpose would this benefit me on such a short run? I did buy the Zoeller Quiet Check Valve, but I'm just wondering if I even need it. I plan doing a setup similar to below, except dropping a Ferno above the lid just in case I need to pull it. This is my dry fitting minus the fernco. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20181113_193234.jpg
    IMG_20181113_193234.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 177

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How many times do you want to repump the same water? Anything left in the vertical will fall back down into the sump when it stops without a check valve. Also, if the line is then dry, you might get some noises as the water then refills the line.

Now, whether it will be a major issue or not, can't say with certainty. This assumes that the external line actually slopes away from the house. If it doesn't, then all of the water will tend to return to the sump after the pump shuts off.

Kubstix

Reaction score
How many times do you want to repump the same water? Anything left in the vertical will fall back down into the sump when it stops without a check valve. Also, if the line is then dry, you might get some noises as the water then refills the line.

Now, whether it will be a major issue or not, can't say with certainty. This assumes that the external line actually slopes away from the house. If it doesn't, then all of the water will tend to return to the sump after the pump shuts off.

I guess I am concerned about the discharge pipe freezing. I live in NEPA, we have some pretty brutal temperatures/weather here. With a check valve, I am going to be holding water in this line between my block. Without it, the small amount of water will just clear the line back in the basin.

Kubstix

Reaction score
How far does that pipe go past the wall? In most cases the water in THAT pipe will also be siphoned back into the pit.

Just goes right outside the block and will take a 90 straight down. From there it slopes down away from the house but all downhill. I guess I will have to decide if I want to deal with frozen discharge, or a pint or two of water going back in the pit.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When the pump shuts off, ANY water in the pipe which is above the level of the pump will be sucked backwards until enough drains to allow air to bread the siphon. To prevent it, you would need a "vacuum relief valve" where the elbow is now. It would replaced with a tee and valve on top of it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks