Do braided flexible supply lines in storage "expire" with age? Thinking the "rubber" in particular.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by JimNY, Apr 23, 2021.

1. JimNY

JimNY New Member

So used to dealing with house-related things so old they're decayed or locked into place, that I think (too much) about problems related to age.

Do never-used DIY "stainless-steel" flexible supply lines (for sinks, for example, the big box store calls them "braided polymer faucet connectors") have a lifetime? I see what appears to be somewhat hard "rubber" at the ends where they compress/seal. Will this get too hard, too soft, or brittle, etc., to be reliable after a certain time in storage? The same for whatever polymer is used for the core of the hose?

Months, years, decades, forever? (Presume many here use them up way too fast to worry, or buy when only as needed, but still might have an idea.)

I found some stored in a basement, and, er, I sometimes tend to be, um, "economical".

Thanks.

2. Marlinman

Marlinman In the Trades

The earliest braided supplies had rubber waterways and caused black particles being released after time and deterioration. Since the use of Santoprene vinyl and PVC lined waterways are the normal now. I would only use newly purchased supplies. It's not worth the chance of flooding of a home.

Reach4 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Reach4 likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The original Fluidmaster supply lines had very thin plastic nuts at the top for the toilets. Their new PRO series has beefed that part up.
    I found some of the old style ones laying around the other day and tossed them. Been there, and done that. :)

Aquaflo Mightyflex on the right.
    PRO Fluidmaster on the left.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  5. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

I wind up tossing old ones every few years . Those nuts aren't as robust as the Fluidmaster PRO.
    To each their own risk. depends on environment in my truck 125 degrees in summer an oddball size might need tossing before getting used. in a moderate temp. several years probably ok. I think if the flex is more than a year or so I doubt the manufacture be liable for anything

6. JimNY

JimNY New Member

Thanks for the heads up. (Being cheap can get expensive . . .)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021