Do braided flexible supply lines in storage "expire" with age? Thinking the "rubber" in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

JimNY

Reaction score
So used to dealing with house-related things so old they're decayed or locked into place, that I think (too much) about problems related to age.

Do never-used DIY "stainless-steel" flexible supply lines (for sinks, for example, the big box store calls them "braided polymer faucet connectors") have a lifetime? I see what appears to be somewhat hard "rubber" at the ends where they compress/seal. Will this get too hard, too soft, or brittle, etc., to be reliable after a certain time in storage? The same for whatever polymer is used for the core of the hose?

Months, years, decades, forever? (Presume many here use them up way too fast to worry, or buy when only as needed, but still might have an idea.)

I found some stored in a basement, and, er, I sometimes tend to be, um, "economical".

Thanks.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The earliest braided supplies had rubber waterways and caused black particles being released after time and deterioration. Since the use of Santoprene vinyl and PVC lined waterways are the normal now. I would only use newly purchased supplies. It's not worth the chance of flooding of a home.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The original Fluidmaster supply lines had very thin plastic nuts at the top for the toilets. Their new PRO series has beefed that part up.
I found some of the old style ones laying around the other day and tossed them. Been there, and done that. :)

Aquaflo Mightyflex on the right.
PRO Fluidmaster on the left.

old-toilet-supply-line.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wind up tossing old ones every few years . Those nuts aren't as robust as the Fluidmaster PRO.
To each their own risk. depends on environment in my truck 125 degrees in summer an oddball size might need tossing before getting used. in a moderate temp. several years probably ok. I think if the flex is more than a year or so I doubt the manufacture be liable for anything

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks