DLFC sizing and upper baskets for softeners and backwashing filters

Users who are viewing this thread

Hatsuwr

Reaction score
Curious about this in general, but my system in particular has a softener and a Katalox Light iron filter.

A DLFC is used to limit the backwashing rate. Too high of a rate and the media will (temporarily) clog the upper basket, or just be discharged if a basket isn't present.

If the DLFC is sized so that media won't reach and clog the upper basket, then it seems like it also wouldn't be discharged if the basket were removed. So should I skip the basket entirely? With my iron filter especially, the basket tends to get clogged anyway from buildup, and being able to be rid of it would be nice.

Reach4

Reaction score
I removed the upper basket on my iron+H2S filter for that reason.

The amount of bed expansion is a function of things like gpm, tank diameter, and even water temperature.

People often have too little backwash for KL, and it does not fluidize as it should during backwash.

1. What diameter is your tank? 10 inch?

2. What is your valve?

Hatsuwr

Reaction score
I removed the upper basket on my iron+H2S filter for that reason.

The amount of bed expansion is a function of things like gpm, tank diameter, and even water temperature.

People often have too little backwash for KL, and it does not fluidize as it should during backwash.

1. What diameter is your tank? 10 inch?

2. What is your valve?

I have twin 10" tanks with Fleck 2510 valves for the iron filters. Testing with no basket installed and the pressure tank shut off, media starts being discharged at around 6.8 GPM. I was thinking of getting some 7 GPM DLFC buttons and seeing if they work, and if not, freezing and drilling out the existing 5 GPM buttons a bit. I'm on a fairly deep well so the incoming water temperature is fairly consistent, although I imagine the temperature increase from sitting in the pressure tank/aerator will vary more.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would not expect media to be discharged while backwashing at 6.8 gpm. Unless we presume those are some broken pieces that could not wash out before, but now can.

index.php

Are your tanks natural tan so that, in the dark, you can shine a light thru during backwash, and see the shadow of the media bed expansion?

Are the tanks unpainted so that you can shine a bright light thru, and see the shadow of the rising media?

Hatsuwr

Reaction score
I would not expect media to be discharged while backwashing at 6.8 gpm. Unless we presume those are some broken pieces that could not wash out before, but now can.

Are your tanks natural tan so that, in the dark, you can shine a light thru during backwash, and see the shadow of the media bed expansion?

Are the tanks unpainted so that you can shine a bright light thru, and see the shadow of the rising media?
Ahh I messed up, I forgot I had some activated carbon in there to test out a mixed bed setup. Worked ok for a few years, but I think I'll save that for just the drinking water side of the system. With just the Katalox Light, I can run the drain with no DLFC at full pressure without any media loss.

Tanks are black, but I'm just run the discharge through a screen and slowly increase flow rate to test for media discharge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks