Dishwasher install, Bosch uses 3/4 FHT connector

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Dylan, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Dylan

Dylan New Member

I was able to find a Bosch 500 SHPM65Z52N listed in stock with a delivery date toward the end of the month.
    Looks like I need a 3/4 to 3/4 elbow connector and a 3/8 supply line? Anything else I need to install this? Looks like Bosch uses 3/4 FHT vs 3/8 FHT.

Install manual says a power cord and the drain hose are included. I have an existing shut of valve for the dishwasher supply line, an outlet to plug into, and a garbage disposal connection. This is a replacement dishwasher water line and connections for the drain hose are there.

2. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

The supply elbow is pretty common now.. was a total PITA 10yrs ago or so.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2021
    Dylan likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Dylan likes this.
  4. Dylan

Dylan New Member

Thanks. What are the better quality brands of braided supply lines and elbows the 3/8 to 3/8 compression supply line and 3/4 to 3/8 elbow? Fluidmaster, ProCo, Fluidmaster, etc. are decent?

5. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    All new dishwashers use this fitting. The garden hose type end threads on to the dishwasher, after that it is all the same, 3/8". As Tuttles stated, at one time they were hard to find and I got lucky one day after buying a new dishwasher and ready to install with parts all over the kitchen floor, I found one at Lowe's on the wrong hook. I cannot figure out why the industry changed? I think is was too difficult for some to get a wrench on a 3/8" compression nut under the dishwasher? I have a Bosch DW and this is what is needed.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Dylan likes this.
  6. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

I don't know why they changed from 3/8 FIP to 3/4 MHT. also didn't know they all changed just thought it the vast majority. they were pretty easy to hook up before . my guess is making an installation easier would be secondary to cost savings or even quality. they might feel less leaks would occur , less failures but I've not seen a reason for it . I think the MHT adapter x 3/8 90 , came with the D/W but being phased out , I know I've never bought one . I have several of them and cant remember if the D/W includes the 90 (they never came with the 3/8 MIP x comp)
    I believe the solenoid valve with a male hose thread would be cheaper to manufacture than with a brass connection. and could be a factor.

7. Dylan

Dylan New Member

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the Fluidmaster FB6W60K 60 in. 3/8 in. Connector Kit that includes the 3/8" and 3/4" elbow fittings. Don't need the 3/8 in. will just put in the extra parts drawer. Looks like a lot of the dishwasher install kits now include the 3/4 elbow or you can buy it separately.

8. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    It might have been a maintenance factor. Much easier to unthread the fitting with pliers to pull it out for repairs, etc.

9. Dylan

Dylan New Member

Fluidmaster site said most dishwashers made after 2009 will have a 3/4" inlet size and it's supposed to make installation easier to align and require less torque to make an adequate seal.

I looked at Maytag/ Whirpool and Bosch install manuals:

Maytag/ Whirpool install manual: Other Parts Needed (not provided): 3/8" (9.5 mm) Compression x 3/4" (19 mm) Hose Fitting with rubber seal and 90° elbow (required to properly connect household water line to the dishwasher.) Part no: W10685193

Bosch install manual: Elbow connection with 3/4” female hose threads on one end and fits your water supply line (copper tubing, compression fitting, or braided hose) on the other. Hot Water Supply Line - Minimum 3/8″ O.D. copper tubing or metal braided dishwasher supply line.

Other requirements:

-Minimum of 3, preferably 4 hands
    -Ability to crawl upside down into tight spaces
    -Sailors dictionary on curse words

Tuttles Revenge and Jeff H Young like this.
  10. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Heh.. I like finding gems like that in installation manuals. Price Pfister had a pretty good Pfunny install manual for a Pfaucet i installed of theirs. I Pfucking laughed!