Dishwasher drain with Johnson Tee

Users who are viewing this thread

PJG

Reaction score
I am installing a new dishwasher. The drain pipe coming out of the wall is 1/2" copper, going to a Johnson Tee. The drain hose on the new dishwasher has a 3/4" rubber boot with a hose clamp - intended I suppose for connection to a sink or disposal drain.
Is there a secure way to connect these two, without resorting to sweating a new copper adapter on? I do not know how to sweat copper nor do I want to. Is there some sort of rubber bushing or other adapter? Could I just slide a piece of tubing of the correct dimensions over the 1/2 copper to take up the gap, and just use the dishwasher drain connection with hose clamp?

Thank you,
PJ

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most dishwasher hose drains are 5/8" with a bell end for 7/8"
That way they work with either 1/2" copper, the input of an air-gap and the large part of the drain to to the disposer. You have both options.

PJG

Reaction score
Aha! I see now that I look farther into the dishwasher drain hose connector that it does indeed have a smaller diameter. So the 5/8ths inch area is not too large to properly collapse down around a 1/2" copper pipe under a hose clamp?

The OD of copper is 5/8"

johnson_tee_2.jpg

jb-air-gap-1.jpg

A Johnson tee uses 1/2" copper and if you're using an air-gap on the sink it also uses the small inlet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks