Determine size of final roof Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Dohc

Reaction score
How do you determine the size of the roof vent for a complete DWV system? This is in WI, and a single family residential house. The WI plumbing code can be found online here...
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/co...and_buildings_and_environment/380_387/382.pdf

WI SPS 382.31 Vents and venting systems - I read it that it says if the Diameter of the Drain Stack at Base is 4 inches, then the vent can be 3" as long as the total length of the vent is less than 180 feet. Am I missing anything here or is my understanding correct?

Thank you

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The vent thought the roof in areas where you can have below 32 DEG F should be 4"

Even when I ran a 2" vent from a kitching sink I increased the vent just below the roof to 4" to prevent Hoarfrost

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
16) Vent terminals. All vents and vent systems shall terminate in the open air in accordance with this subsection.
(a) Extension above roofs. Extensions of vents through a roof shall terminate at least 8" above the roof. Where the roof is to be used for any purpose other than weather protection, the vents shall extend at least 7 feet above the roof.

Actually on a flat roof depending on the average snow depth I would not go less the 2 FT above the roof and 7 feet for a Promenad roof /deck

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if you only have one vent in the house it must be equal ( or i suppose it could be larger) than sewer as it leaves house so its either 3 or 4 inch. If the house has multiple vents thru roof then the cross section of the total of those vents must be equal or exceed the 3 or 4 inch main.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks