Detecting a water service leak under ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

seann

In the Trades
Reaction score
My neighbor just told me that her sump pump has been kicking on and off every few minutes since December. The pump is working and extracting water correctly, but it keep running in through the drain tile at a good rate she says. She lives in a duplex and she says the neighbors on both sides of her are having a similar issue with their sump pumps.
It's been a cold winter here, and it's not from rain water. My thought is that it most likely sounds like a broken water service between the curd stop and the water meter in the basement. Typically on the broken water services I've ran across there is evidence of water coming up in the yard at some place. I see no evidence of that happening in this situation.
For background, here in Nebrasa the water service comes off of a curb stop that us typically 8-12 feet deep and then running about that same depth until it comes up from the basement floor in the utility room. Most services around here are 60-100ft long in most cases. There is no meter on the street side of the house, only in basement of house.
I believe it is most likely that the service is broken uunder the concrete in one of their basements. Can anyone give me an idea of the best way to go about determining if there is a leak between the curb stop and the house, and how to go about locating it?
All I can think if us shutting off the curb stop and then hooking an air guage to the meter angle valve in the basement, pressurizing the water service and seeing if it loses pressure, or is there a better way? And from that point is there a way of locating where the leak is underground? Or do you just assume that the if it loses pressure on test that the water is broken some place and plan to have a new service pulled in? If it was locatable, and was under the concrete in the basement then it could be a lot cheaper fix than pulling a whole new line. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score

seann

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your water service used chlorine, you may be able to detect chlorine in the water with sensitive free chorine test strips. That would be definitive.
http://www.lamotte.com/en/water-wastewater/test-strips/2964-g.html free chlorine strips

If chloramine, you might have to use something like this:

http://www.lamotte.com/en/drinking-water/test-strips/2963lr-g.html total chlorine strips
http://www.lamotte.com/en/education/water-monitoring/3027.html tests both total and free.

Thanks, that actually a good idea to try. I didn't think if that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Normally, since the "leak" is ahead of the meter, and not registering on any device, the city would make the determination since they are the ones paying for the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks