Designing your new bathroom with www.FloorPlanner.com

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a client in Ottawa who is building a barrier free shower for some good clients of his.

We chatted about how to design the grading. We chatted about the benefits of NobleSeal CIS and capillary breaks. We discussed the new floor joists. And I talked a lot about a low profile curb he should add to simplify the one glass panel wall.

After ten minutes of discussion my client asked me if I had looked at the most current drawing. I told him yes but in fact I had not since the drawing was online at www.floorplanner.com. I opened up the 2D drawing he linked me too and what I thought was going to be a low curb topped with a fixed glass panel was intact a full wall.

With this program you create a space online and you can also then model it in 3D. What a difference. The wall makes the design easier. The program I'm told is not hard to use and this builder used it himself of the first time.

I charge out my design calls in 20 minute sections. I wasted a good ten minutes of my clients time because we where talking about two different things. What a huge improvement this program added to our call. We are on the same page.

ACO drain is going to be ordered and the builder tomorrow will have a clear vision of what and where to place his walls and capillary breaks.

I'll get some screenshots of this room to help showcase the program and how it made this one shower design call so much better.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
It's all good Roberto. We will be installing NobleSeal CIS outside the shower and using a capillary break. Dry side will get NuHeat heating wire.

Piece of cake.

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I was referring to the location vs. the bathroom door .......... but I am sure you compensated already for that . :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I agree Roberto that the shower would be better suited further away. To move the shower we would need to double the work from below and add thousands of dollars in drywall and plumbing fees. This design allows us to use the existing stack locations and have shorter runs.

I've built them even closer that that before. This the the closest.

64722d1328280400-help-please-trench-drain-question-screen-shot-2012-02-03-6.42.21-am.jpg

No Grout at the time photo was taken

Drain is 5" from the bedroom door (entry to bathroom). Level transition from hardwood to tile. See the baby dam detail I used here? See how I clipped the drain? Floor tile on dry side is pitched at a hair under 1% left to right and roughly 1/2" from top to bottom (dry side).

This my first curbless shower in Burnaby. Had to meet with three plumbing officials and another inspector to get permission years back. Needed drawings. IAMPO certificates for NobleSeal TS and Mapei's Aquadefence on this one.

The owner's father did the first shower. When the inspector came in to check the flood test it was dripping into the basement. The father built his own drain! lol

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I'm trying to concentrate on a quote right now for an exterior deck builds a #$%^ing squirrel is banging walnuts on my home's siding...... LOL

article-2222449-15A80E73000005DC-19_634x512.jpg

Tried to find a graphic and found this! LOL Head is tied to a rope. I think the owner put seeds inside to get these shots.... Too funny. Got to show my kids this.​

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Just got a series of photos from the builder back east in Ottawa of what's under this tank of an old floor.

Nice clear space. Lots of room to run our shower drain line and toilet line.

Once we get the plumber back the builder can go about back framing these cut outs. Repair the subfloor and start the new framing over top of this old floor.

Floor joists are 3"x12" full dimension. Topped with 2"x4" full dimension Pine VGroove boards and then fir flooring I think. We are going to build right over top of this and build up the dry area a good 6"-7". Making room for our recessed shower area.

Can you say NobleSeal CIS? Ardex 8+9?

"Having discovered John Whipple on-line whilst looking for information on a curbless shower build, it was clear that his knowledge and practical experience was just what I needed on the self-build shower I am currently undertaking.

I have hired John as a consultant and am finding his assistance extremely valuable. For a shower build that demands everything be completely right first time, this is exactly the help needed. A real bonus is that part of the cost of the time he spends discussing details with me is deducted from the price of the shower drain I shall be purchasing from him.

If you are building a curbless shower I cannot recommend more highly that you speak with John about your project." - Source

That makes 40 Five Star Reviews out of 41. Not a bad average.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks