Delta shower cartridge assembly twisted

Users who are viewing this thread

Mansoor

Reaction score
Hi

I had my bathtub shower leaking. I tried to replace the cartridge but the bonnet nut is stuck.

I tried to open it with a wrench but ended up twisting it a bit.

At this point do you think I should replace the whole faucet (a local plumber quoted me 500 to 600) or do you think little bit of twisting won't be issue.

I will try to heat it up or saw it as a last resort. But what I am worried is that the 3 copper tubes are bent and one day may just burst.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

Thank you

20211206_093142.jpg
20211207_205649.jpg
20211207_205417.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Replace is all. Did the plumber suggest that he may have to go through the wall behind the valve body?
Ridge copper pipe do not like bends. Though copper is a soft metal, other than soft copper tubing, ridge copper can get very small fractures, with enough bending it may stretch making for a thiner wall thickness.

Mansoor

Reaction score
Replace is all. Did the plumber suggest that he may have to go through the wall behind the valve body?
Ridge copper pipe do not like bends. Though copper is a soft metal, other than soft copper tubing, ridge copper can get very small fractures, with enough bending it may stretch making for a thiner wall thickness.

Ok thanks a lot for the advice. It helpedto make my decision.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Actually, if it it's not leaking now, it is probably still okay. Heating the cap will usually loosen it although it will destroy the cap so you will need a new one.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber or a Pro. Are you sure you actually twisted the copper pipe and it was not always like that? The face plate would likely sit flush even if the valve body is not perfectly parallel to the finished wall.

Mansoor

Reaction score
I guess its bent only little bit but definitely some bending. This is how the pics with plate and covering look like.

Maybe I am overthinking and should just fix it.

20211208_102322.jpg
20211208_102348.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The angle I'm looking at in the updated pics Im 100% for full replacement. $600 is CHEAP compared to a slow leak behind the wall for 5yrs. Not even worth the risk IMO.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks