Slight twist in Delta 1500 series cartridge housing

Users who are viewing this thread

Daver55

Reaction score
Replaced cartridge in Delta 1500 series single handle Monitor valve. After trying to initially remove bonnet nut with a strap wrench I noticed i had rotated cartridge housing slightly, notch used to be at 9 o'clock position, now about 3/16" below 9 o'clock. Stopped there and used dremel to cut and remove bonnet nut. After a week of no leaks - full water pressure ( I removed access panel on back side to watch for leaks) I am thinking the twist in the three tubes at the back of the valve was small enough that hopefully they won't start leaking sometime in the future. Does this sound okay?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If they aren't leaking I'm very surprised.

There's no way to know if they will start leaking, but I can't think of why they would. A leak caused by damage at these tubes base should show right away. The fact that it's not leaking should mean that it won't start, but who can really tell something like this? In my experience they break pretty easily and 3/16" sounds like a lot.

I'd go with it if it was my house and I could check on it frequently. As time goes on you'll check on it less and less.

Daver55

Reaction score
If they aren't leaking I'm very surprised.

There's no way to know if they will start leaking, but I can't think of why they would. A leak caused by damage at these tubes base should show right away. The fact that it's not leaking should mean that it won't start, but who can really tell something like this? In my experience they break pretty easily and 3/16" sounds like a lot.

I'd go with it if it was my house and I could check on it frequently. As time goes on you'll check on it less and less.
Thanks for your reply, I was a little shocked and surprised when I saw that the cartridge housing had twisted, then I learned about the three tubes in the back. I agree with everything you said, will monitor it for a while, cross my fingers, hope for the best! Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks