Deepening well to install geothermal system

Discussion in 'Solar and Geothermal Water Heating Forum' started by Twotone, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

2. Twotone

Twotone New Member

Thanks for the education. I had planned to limit the flow through the heat pump to 6-8 gpm with a Dole valve. Minimum flow through the heat pump is 1.5 gpm/ton. A 4 ton unit would require a minimum of 6 gpm. Recommended range is 6 to 8 gpm. Depending on what the deepened well tests out at, should I limit the flow to the minimum to save pump energy?

The driller is telling me he is required to case the deepened well top to bottom. I am assuming this means (need to find out) the 110' in the old casing would be blocked. The water quality at 110' is 18 grains hardness. 2.5 Iron. Not the best for geothermal equipment. Water quality at 460' near me is 3-4 grains and 0.5 to 1.0 iron. Thanks again for the education.

3. Twotone

Twotone New Member

Valveman,
    How would I determine the minimum pressure required or recommended for a geothermal heat pump.
    The online installation manuals do not cover this.
    They do cover the pressure drop. Ground water temperature is ~55F.
    upload_2018-12-1_0-12-12.png
    I'm asking in reference to sizing the sub pump. Would I size it for 20 psi or would 15 psi work for this model?
    Is there a pump model that would produce 15 psi set at 470 ft?