Damaged drain: Is this exposed tub material safe and will it leak after fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Colinski

Reaction score
Long story short, I wound up damaging the tub around the drain when getting an old corroded broken drain out before discovering the tool at home depot that allows the piece of hardware to grab the threads and unscrew it out. (The center of the old drain disintegrated when using the typical extraction tool leaving only threads on the pipe.) I used the tool and got it out without destroying the threads of the sewer drain, replaced the shoe gasket under the tub, applied pencil size width of plumbers putty under the new drain flange, and tightened it well. I'm concerned the damaged areas of the tub may be toxic since its exposed and also that it may allow leakage. I have a some questions.
Pictures are here: https://imgur.com/a/tJohgUd

Is this a fiberglass tub ?

Will the exposed material around the drain be toxic to bath water?

Will it leak even with a new shoe gasket under the tub and plumber’s putty around the new drain flange?

Could this damage be filled with a tub repair kit or some silicone caulk?

Attachments

• 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 2s.jpg
    2s.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 3f.jpg
    3f.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is no concern about toxicity, and the accessible area of the fiberglass can be repaired. As it is, the sealing surfaces are not good which greatly increases the possibility of a leak.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Just clean off the old putty around the drain opening and use stainless plumbers putty. Do not coat the threads with anything. There is no pressure in a tub drain and gravity works in your favor. Applying the right amount of plumbers putty and tightening the new stopper there will be no leaks. Do replace the washer under the tub for they can dry out over time. There is nothing toxic

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks