Dahl supply line ball valves....anything else better?

Which shutoff valves are the most reliable for you?

• BrassCraft

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Nibco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Watts

• Dahl

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • old style right angle 1/2 FIP to 1/2 FIP with 3/8 OD adapter

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Alco

Reaction score
Posting this question to Terry's Forum..... currently finished installing a trial set of Dahl ball valves after being disappointed with all the junk sold locally. This includes BrassCraft,Nibco and Watts which eventually will not shut off water or eventually drip when I must perform maintenance or faucet replacements. The worse ones are the plastic stem with rubber washers which all drip when I attempt to turn off water to replace a failed supply side ceramic cartridge. It's gotten so bad I avoid these types completely however even the BrassCraft, Nibco, and Watts quarter turn ball valves also leak or drip. I've now started using Dahl quarter turn ball valves but thought I would post a question to the forum asking if there were "quality" quarter turn ball valves (preferably forged versus junk cast yellow brass) undersink shutoffs sold. I read it now normal and customary to replace both the shutoff valve whenever you also replace a kitchen or bathroom faucet. My concern is the main house gate valve shutoff is old and one day I may not be able to turn water back on after performing repairs or maintenance. Your thoughts?
I will disagree with most when it comes to angle stops. I have not and will not use 1/4 turns regardless of the construction. They are the same as they were in the early 80s ''non serviceable" , in fact I have seen them leak from the seal at the handle. I only use brasscraft mulit-turns, that which I can service if replacing it leaves me no option. A wire brush, grease "which I do on all my new stops" and a brass stem rebuild kit and "see ya at the beach"! I remember when Brasscraft only came with brass stems which dates me I guess. Nonetheless I am Brasscrraft till I'm dead.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not too concerned that brasscraft or dahl aren't good enough> I can say If I was I'd look at Chicago 60 or a hundred a piece whatever they are a chunk of brass and look real pretty. but I'm not rebuilding brand new valves or used ones for that matter unless there is a necessity.

Plumbstar

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've been using Dahle stops for years for their superior quality. My only issue is the depth of the recess for 1/2" copper pipe. Most common existing valves are Brasscraft. When replacing BC with Dahl, while retaining existing ferrule & nut, the lack of depth in the Dahl causes the ferrule to be moved to meet the Dahl stop. I've had issues getting a seal especially if previous stop was over tightened. If there's excess pipe no problem. Even with ferrule removal tool, the pipe can be too distorted to get a seal. Please leave excess length stub outs during construction

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks