Single valve for multiple outside hose bibs

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
hi guys,
I've been sweating a lot of connections for my bath remodel and it's given me confidence to tackle a couple other nagging plumbing issues. Biggest of all is that my shutoffs for the outside faucets don't actually shut off all the way. It slows it down to a drip but not all the way off. It's the type that can be rebuilt, but that brings me to the other problem -- they are by the water heater in a maze of pipes and really hard to turn (knuckles hit other pipes as you turn them). Not well thought out at all.

I'd like to replace with a single quarter turn ball valve to shut off both faucets together. It would really help with the valve location and I always turn them on/off together anyway.

Is there any code or other problem with one shutoff for two hose bibs? Only problem I see if both outside valves are left open you have a full path "through" the house from one sill-cock to the other. But since neither is used for drinking water, I'm not sure if that's a problem.

Thanks,
Anthony

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber, but I don't think that would be a problem. They make valves that have a drain that allows you to drain the water (or admit air if the new valve is higher than the hose bibs) after you close the valve.

Reaction score
Yeah, those were the kind I was looking at. Haven't had a frozen one yet, but we've been pretty good about at least shutting it off and letting it drip.

Thanks.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Only problem I see if both outside valves are left open you have a full path "through" the house from one sill-cock to the other. But since neither is used for drinking water, I'm not sure if that's a problem.
Not a pro:

If that were to happen, it would be a problem (in "code logic" (my own made up term) ) because the supply would then be contaminated.

Backflow is supposed to be blocked at each spigot... If you were to shut everything off at the meter, there would be the same theoretical danger IMHO.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks