Cycle Sensor to float switch wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

CenterTree

Reaction score
The float switch is a SJE Rhombus type (normally closed) being used to control well pump pumping into storage tank in basement.

The well pump wiring is 12AWG, 220volt double pole breaker. (1/2HP 10GPM, 220 feet)

Got the power run through the disconnect box and then onto the Cycle Sensor. (hooked to the "line in" terminals on CS).
I have a junction box to make the necessary connections, but,,,:( am not sure .

Is the float switch wired the same way as if it were a regular light switch?

The wiring diagram in the instructions for the CS show for a pressure switch.

Float has 3 wires (red, black white) and says to disregard one wire and cap it as it is just a matter of wiring it as pump up or pump down.
So I will be using the white and red wires only.

Which wires from the Cycle Sensor "line out" would go to which wire on the float?
And which go onto the well pump?

I also notice there is no provisions for a ground wire on either the CS or the SJE FLOAT.
Is the normal?

This is probably child's play for seasoned electricians, but I have good days and bad days as a DIYer. Guess which day it is?:confused:

101_1844.JPG

The well pump wire exits building at bottom LB box.
101_1847.JPG

Oh, the pink insulation gets cover later. The mounts right now are temporary just til I can sever the old water line.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the float switch wired the same way as if it were a regular light switch?

The wiring diagram in the instructions for the CS show for a pressure switch.

Float has 3 wires (red, black white) and says to disregard one wire and cap it as it is just a matter of wiring it as pump up or pump down.
So I will be using the white and red wires only.
The float switch is where one contact of a pressure switch would go, and the other contact is just replaced by an always-on conductor.

So if L1OUT goes to the red on the float switch, then white on the float switch would go to L1 to the pump. L2OUT would go right to L2 on the pump.

Which wires from the Cycle Sensor "line out" would go to which wire on the float?
And which go onto the well pump?
In series, so won't matter which hot the float switch is in line with, and won't matter whether red or white from the float switch goes to the pump.
I also notice there is no provisions for a ground wire on either the CS or the SJE FLOAT.
Is the normal?
I think the ground wire from the breaker will connect to the ground wire of the pump via a wire nut etc. I look forward to the comments of others on that.

Nice looking installation.

What is the black thing in line with the pvc pipe at the bottom of the first photo?

Last edited:

CenterTree

Reaction score
What is the black thing in line with the pvc pipe at the bottom of the first photo?

Oh, that is a broken check valve in the current (soon to be disconnected) win coming line from the outside cistern. The cistern has a jet pump and needs a check valve.
It broke last month and I replaced it with the newer white one on the vertical. (and for ease of repair I just left it in since that will all get ripped out SOON.

The large white temporarily capped stubby PVC pipe you see is the NEW in coming well line that will be hooked up next week. ( I hope)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Breaker to L1 and L2 in on the Cycle Sensor. L1 out can go straight to the motor. L2 out goes to the white wire on the float switch. Then take the red wire from the float switch to the other wire from the motor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks