Culligan Super S - air in water lines

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by jreed, Aug 18, 2015.

1. jreed

jreed Member

I have a Culligan Super S iron filter, along with a Medallist softener. Lately I have noticed a lot of air in my water lines and also it seems as though there is a lot of air when the backflush runs at night. when the backflush initially starts, air comes out before water. Any idea what would cause this with?

2. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    The air check in the brine tank. Remove and clean the brine assembly inside the brine tank. Carefully inspect it for wear, replace if needed.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. PumpMd

PumpMd In the Trades

Water Well Pump Installer/Diesel Mechanic
    Could be a leak below a check valve, that is above your static water level in your well or a leak on the check valve below the one above your static water level, this would cause air in the lines.

Do you notice the pump coming on when you are not using water?

Can you tell us a little more about your well system.

If you don't have a well, disregard what I said.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  5. Bannerman

Bannerman Active Member

6. jreed

jreed Member

Where is the air relief solenoid on this unit?

7. Bannerman

Bannerman Active Member

8. ditttohead

LOL, you are right, duh... I just saw softener, air in lines... and the default is the air-check. The Super S has a compressor, so air in the lines is normal, not sure what would cause it to be more than normal. When I worked the field, we got rid of the Super S every time we saw one and replaced it with something else.

9. jreed

jreed Member

Just curious, what would be a good replacement for a super s?

10. ditttohead

Iron reduction is done in many ways. Catalox light has become a popular media. The method depends on your orp, DO, pH, amount of iron, h2s, manganese etc. Many of our customers prefer starting with a simple backwashing system and adding air or other oxidants later if needed.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  11. Michelle Arden

Michelle Arden New Member

What about a Culligan Iron-Cleer or Sulfur-Cleer? There is a comparison of 5 of their different water filters on this webpage: http://culliganwater.com/water-filter-comparison/

12. jreed

jreed Member

I am revisiting this thread because Im still having issues. I feel like the super s is the source of my problems. The air pressure builds up and really releases on backwash. What I realize is that the part I was checking was the wrong check valve. Looking at the attached pic, which part is the air relief solenoid?

Attached Files: