Cramming Garbage Disposal, Dishwasher AND Water Filter Under Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

bet3z

Reaction score
I've got a lot packed in under my kitchen sink, and I need to cram in a reverse osmosis filter. The painful part appears to be fitting the tank. The drain tailpiece from the left hand sink bowl comes down to an elbow that goes over to the tee shown in the attached image. The tank is huge, and placed where I need to have it, it would be in the way.

IMG_1610[1].JPG

If I raised the tee up and went straight out of the disposal, the elbow from the left side drain tailpiece would just clear the tank. I suppose I could also reorient the tee so the inlet that comes in from the left would come in from above. The left side drain could come down, elbow over, and then elbow down to the tee.

I'm not sure what's preferable, if the pieces exist to do what I'm proposing, or if there would be an even better way to do it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
I located our RO unit and storage tank in a cabinet in the basement laundry room directly below the kitchen. I extended the tubing as we have both an RO faucet beside the kitchen sink and our fridge water/ice dispenser connected to the RO.

If there is a more suitable location for your storage tank while keeping the RO unit located below the sink, the tubing to the tank may be extended as needed.

bet3z

Reaction score
The tank can be anywhere. Do you have a corner cabinet, somewhere, you can put it and then run the water line back to the sink?

There's Lazy susan on one side (and then the stove), and a bank of drawers (and then the dishwasher) on the other. I might be able to go into the basement. It's mostly finished, but I can see if I can fish a line into the utility space.

bet3z

Reaction score
If there is a more suitable location for your storage tank while keeping the RO unit located below the sink, the tubing to the tank may be extended as needed.
I will have a look under. If I can't do it, would there be a preferable way to reroute the drain?

Bannerman

Reaction score
An air gap is often incorporated into an RO faucet so an RO faucet will be typically equipped with 3 conections. The drain tube leading from the RO membrane will connect to the air gap inlet, and a slightly larger tube will connect to the air gap outlet to connect to the drainage system. Many RO systems come equipped with a saddle clamp to clamp around a drain pipe such as a sink tailpiece above the P trap. After drilling a small hole into the drainpipe through the threaded hole in the saddle clamp, a fitting will thread into the clamp to connect the small tube running from the air gap faucet.

Edit: The RO storage tank may be placed on its side if that is more convenient.

Last edited:

bet3z

Reaction score
Thanks, all. It looks like I should be able to get a line into the utility room in the basement. I've built a shelf down there, but I think I'll work on reinforcing it, because the tank is huge, and will probably weigh a ton when full.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I searched for specs for a TP-18 but that model is no longer listed. Likely ~4.5 gallons capacity.

If your utility room is unfinished, you probably could place the tank on its side in between the open floor joists above.

bet3z

Reaction score
I searched for specs for a TP-18 but that model is no longer listed. Likely ~4.5 gallons capacity.

If your utility room is unfinished, you probably could place the tank on its side in between the open floor joists above.

Turns out Sears still sells this filter system on their website. The tank is about 11 inches in diameter. Holds 4 gallons, so probably 40 lbs for the water and tank together. The shelf I put up should hold it, but I think I will beef up the brackets so we can stash some detergent up there, too.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Is Sears still in business? Sears Canada shut down in 2017. Craftsman tools are now sold by Lowes in Canada.

Sears USA may continue to sell the same system, but the tank manufacturer no longer lists that model on their website. There are many tank models and sizes that may be utilized with your system if a replacement tank is ever needed.

bet3z

Reaction score
The last Sears in my state is down the street from me, and the store closing sale is going on now. I guess there are still some other locations, and of course the website. Makes me sad, really. Pretty much every tool, appliance, or electronic device we had when I was growing up came from there. Good stuff, and if you ever had a problem, they would take care of it. I could tell the end was near for my store when they basically stopped restocking anything.

As for the closing sale, I was tempted by a 1/2" ratchet at 50% off, but the fit and finish on them were so awful, I couldn't do it. I'll wait until Stanley Black & Decker starts making them in Texas.

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
I have a similar installation where I couldn’t fit the tank upright. It did barely fit laying on its side and it’s working well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks